- Title: Toyota, Mazda to build $1.6 bln U.S. plant
- Date: 4th August 2017
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (AUGUST 4, 2017) (REUTERS) MAZDA DEALERSHIP VARIOUS OF MAZDA LOGO
- Embargoed: 18th August 2017 11:36
- Keywords: Toyota Mazda cars electric cars new plant
- Location: No-Data-Available
- City: No-Data-Available
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA0026SQQUTP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Japanese automakers Toyota Motor Corp and Mazda Motor Corp said on Friday (August 4) they plan to build a $1.6 billion U.S. assembly plant and jointly develop electric vehicle technologies.
The plant, which is set to start operating in 2021, will be capable of producing 300,000 vehicles a year, with production divided between the two automakers, and employ about 4,000 people, the companies said in regulatory filings.
The plan on electric vehicles comes as tightening global emissions regulations prompt more automakers to develop battery powered cars. Toyota and Mazda will also work together to develop in-car information technologies and automated driving functions.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None