- Title: Gone fishing: Russia's Putin bares chest on Siberian lake trip
- Date: 5th August 2017
- Summary: REPUBLIC OF TYVA, RUSSIA (AUGUST 1-3, 2017) (RUSSIAN POOL) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, DRESSED IN DIVING SUIT IMMERSING INTO WATER VARIOUS OF PUTIN HUNTING FISH UNDERWATER PUTIN GIVING FISH TO MEN ON FLOAT-BOAT VARIOUS OF PUTIN IN WATER NEAR FLOAT-BOAT TOP VIEW OF LAKE PUTIN DRESSED IN DIVING SUIT ON FLOAT-BOAT FISH UNDERWATER VARIOUS OF PUTIN SMIMMING WITH CAUGHT FISH AS SEEN FROM UNDERWATER VARIOUS OF FISH IN WATER VARIOUS OF PUTIN FISHING WHILE BEING ON FLOAT-BOAT FISH IN BUCKET VARIOUS OF PUTIN CATCHING FISH, HOLDING IT VARIOUS OF FISH AS SEEN UNDERWATER PUTIN SHOWING CAUGHT FISH LAKE AND FOREST SEEN FROM MOVING BOAT PUTIN AND RUSSIAN DEFENCE MINISTER, SERGEI SHOIGU, ON BOAT RIVER AND FOREST SEEN FROM MOVING BOAT VARIOUS OF PUTIN NAVIGATING BOAT PUTIN WALKING TOWARDS WOODEN HOUSES IN FOREST PUTIN AND SHOIGU WALKING AWAY FROM HOUSES VARIOUS OF PUTIN WALKING IN FOREST, APPROACHING RIVER VIEW OF RIVER PUTIN NAVIGATING BOAT IN RIVER PUTIN FISHING ON RIVER SHORE VIEW OF RIVER PUTIN FISHING ON RIVER SHORE TOP VIEW OF RIVER AND FOREST PUTIN STANDING IN WATER FISHING MEN DRIVING ALONG FOREST ROAD BY CARS TOP VIEW OF FOREST MEN DRIVING ALONG FOREST ROAD BY CARS TOP VIEW OF LAKE PUTIN SWIMMING TOP VIEW OF LAKE
- Embargoed: 19th August 2017 12:31
- Keywords: Russian President Vladimir Putin fishing holiday
- Location: REPUBLIC OF TYVA, RUSSIA
- City: REPUBLIC OF TYVA, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SVPCUF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian President Vladimir Putin stripped to his waist to brave the cold waters of a mountain lake as part of a three-day fishing and hunting trip in the Siberian wilderness, the Kremlin said.
Putin, 64, is renowned for his strong-man publicity stunts, which have contributed to his sky-high popularity ratings. The trip comes eight months before Russia's presidential election next March and, though he has yet to announce his candidacy, Putin is widely expected to run and to win comfortably.
The hunting and fishing expedition took place on Aug. 1-3 in the republic of Tyva in southern Siberia, on the Mongolian border, some 3,700 km (2,300 miles) east of Moscow.
Pictures and video footage released by the Kremlin on Saturday (August 5) showed Putin - who is also a keen practitioner of martial arts and ice hockey - spear-fishing, swimming and sunbathing alongside Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu.
"The water in the lake doesn't get warmer than 17 degrees, but this didn't stop the president from going for a swim," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters on Friday (August 4).
"He went hunting underwater with a mask and snorkel ... The president chased after one pike for two hours, there was no way he could shoot it, but in the end he got what he wanted."
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None