- Title: ASEAN Foreign Ministers meeting kicks off in Manila
- Date: 5th August 2017
- Summary: MANILA, PHILIPPINES (AUGUST 5, 2017) (HOST BROADCASTER POOL) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF FOREIGN MINISTERS WALKING INTO HALL FOR OPENING CEREMONY MINISTERS SITTING DOWN LAOTIAN FOREIGN MINSTER SALEUMNAY KOMMASITH SITTING DOWN MINISTERS SITTING VARIOUS OF FOREIGN MINISTERS SITTING PHILIPPINE FOREIGN MINISTER ALAN PETER CAYETANO STANDING ON STAGE (SOUNDBITE) (English) PHILIPPINE FOREIGN MINISTER ALAN PETER CAYETANO SAYING: (OVERLAY SHOTS 15 & 16) "Just as ASEAN develops internally to become the respected regional organization that it is today, so has it likewise successfully develop externally by establishing an intricate system of partnerships with various countries and organizations outside the region." EDITORS NOTE, PART OF AUDIO IN SHOT NO. 14 IS OVERLAID ON VIDEO OF SHOTS NO. 15-16. (RIGHT) ASEAN SECRETARY GENERAL, LE LUONG MINH, SITTING MINISTERS SITTING AND LISTENING TO SPEECH SENIOR OFFICIALS SITTING CAYETANO STANDING ON STAGE VARIOUS OF FOREIGN MINISTERS GETTING ONTO STAGE FOREIGN MINISTERS STANDING ON STAGE (LEFT) MALAYSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER ANIFAH AMAN, MYANMAR DEPUTY FOREIGN MINISTER KYAW TIN, THAI PRIME MINISTER DON PRAMUDWINAI, VIETNAMESE FOREIGN MINISTER PHAM BINH MINH, CAYETANO, AND SINGAPOREAN FOREIGN MINISTER VIVIEN BALAKRISHNAN FOREIGN MINISTERS STANDING ON STAGE (RIGHT) LE, KOMMASITH, INDONESIAN FOREIGN MINISTER RETNO MARSUDI, CAMBODIAN FOREIGN MINISTER PRAK SHOKHONN, DEPUTY BRUNEI FOREIGN MINISTER LIM JOCK SENG, BALAKRISHNAN DOING ASEAN HANDSHAKE FOR PHOTO OPS VARIOUS OF MINISTERS DOING ASEAN HANDSHAKE/ END OF OPENING CEREMONY INTERIOR OF MEETING ROOM MINISTERS AND SENIOR OFFICIALS ARRIVING FOR MEETING VARIOUS OF MINISTERS POSING FOR PHOTOS ON PODIUM MINISTERS SITTING DOWN FOR MEETING CAYETANO SPEAKING VARIOUS OF MINISTERS LISTENING MEETING IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 19th August 2017 05:06
- Keywords: ASEAN ARF foreign ministers meeting opening ceremony
- Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- City: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026SVPGSL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: PART AUDIO AS INCOMING
Foreign ministers of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) kicked off a regional meeting in the Philippines capital on Saturday (August 5).
Ministers of the regional bloc will hold a full day meeting before being joined by their counterparts from around the world in the the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF).
As this year's rotating ASEAN chair, Manila will host meetings of foreign ministers from 27 countries that include Australia, China, India, Japan, Russia, North and South Korea and the United States. Pyongyang's recent missile tests are expected to take centre stage.
The United States is expected to press ASEAN and other Asian countries to take tougher action against North Korea, such as "drastically" reducing dealings with the already isolated state. Some experts believe ASEAN could seek to play a role as a mediator, since it is an Asian bloc not party to the standoff.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None