- Title: Algerian singer Cheb Khaled performs in Lebanon
- Date: 6th August 2017
- Summary: TYRE, LEBANON (AUGUST 5, 2017) (REUTERS) VIEW OF AUDIENCE AT SHOW VENUE AUDIENCE SEATED VARIOUS OF CHEB KHALED WALKING AND STANDING BACKSTAGE VARIOUS OF CHEB KHALED ON STAGE PERFORMING VARIOUS OF AUDIENCE DURING THE SHOW MORE OF PERFORMANCE CHEB KHALED PERFORMING / AUDIENCE WATCHING
- Embargoed: 20th August 2017 12:55
- Keywords: Lebanon music festvials Cheb Khaled Algerian musician Cheb Khaled Algerian singer
- Location: TYRE, LEBANON
- City: TYRE, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA0016T0PGLX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Algerian singer Cheb Khaled took to the stage on Saturday (August 5) in the southern Lebanese city of Tyre.
Belting out his hits the 57-year old singer and song writer said his message was one of love and happiness.
''As artists all we want is to be loved by the people and I am thankful for the invitation. My message is that of love and unity and my music is about spreading joy,'' said the singer backstage.
Like many other musicians Khaled left Algeria for France. But he became an international star with the success of his nineties hits 'Didi' and 'Aicha'.
Now, more than two decades after those songs were released, they still continue to be favourites among his fans.
''From Didi, Abdel Qader, Aicha and C'est La Vie, there are differences because every year has its own trends and it's own generation so keeping up to date is necessary. Music in some instances needs to be able to change,'' he said.
Khaled is best known for bringing north African Rai music genre to the world stage, and his fans took great pleasure in seeing him perform.
''He is older but he has songs that are suitable for us, for the youth. We can feel his sentiment and we feel really in the moment, despite of the age difference. His songs are not about desperation, they are full of life and today was really lit and the concert was beautiful,'' said 15-year-old fan Lynn Sammouri.
''We are very happy that Cheb Khaled is in Sour and he is one of the artists who knows how to entertain the people, his songs bring joy and happiness,'' added 25-year old festival goer Sahar Hallak.
Khaled's performance is part of the ongoing Tyre International Festival, which first launched in 1996.
And despite security concerns in the country those behind the event said the show will always go on.
The festival culminates on August 6 with a night dedicated to modern Arab poetry.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.