- Title: Tropical Storm Franklin takes aim at Mexico's Yucatan
- Date: 8th August 2017
- Summary: TULUM, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO (AUGUST 07, 2017) (REUTERS) SEAWEED WASHED UP ON SHORE AND PALM TREES WAVING IN THE WIND AT BEACH TOURISTS WALKING ALONG BEACH VARIOUS OF BOATS DOCKED ON BEACH
- Embargoed: 22nd August 2017 00:31
- Keywords: tourists resorts Tulum Yucatan Tropical Storm Franklin weather Mexico Chetumal Quintana Roo Caribbean
- Location: TULUM, CHETUMAL, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO
- City: TULUM, CHETUMAL, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA0036T5SQ4N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: QUALITY AS INCOMING
Tropical Storm Franklin churned toward the tourist hubs along Mexico's Caribbean coast on Monday (August 07), and is expected to strike the Yucatan Peninsula Tuesday (August 08) just south of major resorts, according to the U.S. National Hurricane Centre (NHC).
Franklin, which formed on Sunday (August 06), is located 155 miles (249 km) east of Chetumal, the Mexican city near the country's border with Belize, and was closing in on making landfall at a speed of 13 miles per hour (21 km per hour). Franklin is blowing maximum sustained winds of 60 mph (97 kph), and is expected to continue moving west-northwest over the next two days, the Miami-based NHC added in an advisory.
Quintana Roo state government is closely monitoring the storm and has warned residents and tourists to take precautions. A hurricane watch has been issued from Chetumal to Punta Allen, just south of the popular beach town of Tulum.
The NHC estimates that rainfall caused by Franklin along a large swatch of the Yucatan Peninsula and Belize will average between 3 to 6 inches (8-15 cm), with as much as 12 inches (30 cm) possible in some areas.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None