- Title: Valverde looks beyond Neymar after 5-0 Joan Gamper win
- Date: 7th August 2017
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (AUGUST 7, 2017) (REUTERS) FC BARCELONA COACH, ERNESTO VALVERDE, ARRIVING AT PRESS CONFERENCE ROOM PRESS CONFERENCE ROOM JOURNALISTS AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FC BARCELONA COACH, ERNESTO VALVERDE, SAYING: "As I said the other day, Neymar has been a great player for Barca but he's not here and we have to look forward, right now I don't care to look back and see what has happened but to look forward to see my players and solve the problems we may have or may arise to try to win more games." JOURNALIST AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FC BARCELONA COACH, ERNESTO VALVERDE, SAYING: "We arrive well, we have been preparing ourselves all pre-season to play that game (Super Cup of Spain against Real Madrid on August 13), with everything we did in the United States, with how we are training, we still have a few days ahead of training and we'll see if we can take it forward, recognising also the level of the rival." VALVERDE LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE ROOM CHAPECOENSE CAPTAIN, ALAN RUSCHEL, AT MIXED ZONE WITH JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) CHAPECOENSE CRASH SURVIVOR AND DEFENDER, ALAN RUSCHEL, SAYING: "(Neymar) Is a good player. He made history here at the club and I wish him all the luck in the world. Obviously today I wanted to play against a star like him, but he went to Paris and we could not play against him, I wish him all the luck in the world and to be happy." RUSCHEL SHOWING TO JOURNALISTS HIS SHIRT SIGNED BY MESSI (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) CHAPECOENSE CRASH SURVIVOR AND DEFENDER, ALAN RUSCHEL, SAYING: "Just as he (Neymar) chose to come here after leaving Santos, despite having other proposals, he chose to come here and make history, now his life has gone in a different direction and he wants to make history in Paris. I wish him to be as happy as he was here." RUSCHEL WITH JOURNALISTS AT MIXED ZONE
- Embargoed: 21st August 2017 23:10
- Keywords: Barcelona Chapecoense
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016T5R0HR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde wants his side to move on from Neymar's transfer and look to the future after their 5-0 win over Brazilian side Chapecoense on Monday (August 7).
The Brazilian international moved to French club Paris Saint-Germain in a record 222 million euro transfer.
Valverde said Neymar has been a 'great player' for Barcelona but it was now time to look to the future.
The Blaugrana's traditional curtain-raiser, the Joan Gamper Trophy, took on emotional significance with the visit of Chapecoense, the Brazilian team who lost most of their playing and coaching staff in an air crash last year.
The plane carrying Chapecoense to the Copa Sudamericana final, first leg against Atletico Nacional crashed into mountains outside Medellin, Colombia on Nov. 28 after running out of fuel, killing 71 of the 77 people on board.
Barca invited Chapecoense to contest the traditional friendly, named after the club's Swiss founder, 10 days after the crash, offering half the proceeds from the game to the Brazilian club in addition to making a donation of 250,000 euros ($294,875.00) to help the club's reconstruction.
The Liga side won 5-0 with goals from Gerard Deulofeu, Sergio Busquets, Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Denis Suarez.
The players who survived the crash - Helio Neto, Jakson Follmann and Alan Ruschel - were given a separate tribute as they walked out of the tunnel at the Nou Camp after the teams emerged, while volunteers held up a heart-shaped banner in Chapecoense's green and white colours.
Defender Ruschel was playing his second game since suffering spinal injuries in the crash and wore the captain's armband, kissing the Nou Camp turf before the game began and raising his hands to the air in tribute to his fallen team mates.
The historic rivals will meet again twice in August 13 and 16 in the Spanish Super Cup and the International Champions Cup match set the entertainment bar high, with Barcelona maintaining their 100 per cent record in pre-season.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None