- Title: Filipino activists call for human rights to be on ASEAN agenda
- Date: 7th August 2017
- Summary: MANILA, PHILIPPINES (AUGUST 7, 2017) (REUTERS) ACTIVISTS MARCHING WHILE CARRYING BANNERS ACTIVIST CARRYING AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS ACTIVISTS HOLDING BANNER READING (English): "50 YEARS OF ASEAN. 50 YEARS OF AGRICULTURAL BACKWARDNESS AND DECLINING FOOD SECURITY AND FOOD SOVEREIGNTY." VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS CARRYING BANNERS AND MARCHING ACTIVISTS MARCHING AND CHANTING SLOGAN (Filipino): "IMPLEMENT AGRARIAN REFORM" VARIOUS OF POLICE FORMING BARRICADE PROTESTERS BEGINNING TO GATHER IN FRONT OF POLICE VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS HOLDING BANNER READING (Filipino): "ASEAN FOR THE PEOPLE, FIGHT!" ACTIVISTS HOLDING PLACARDS WITH MESSAGES CALLING FOR HUMAN RIGHTS REFORM PLACARDS READING (English): "WOMEN DESERVE NO LESS!" AND "ADDRESS SEXUAL VIOLENCE IN ASEAN!" (SOUNDBITE) (English) SPOKESPERSON OF "WEAVING WOMEN'S VOICES SOUTHEAST ASIA", CHANG JORDAN, SAYING: "Our expectation from ASEAN is one, to put human rights agenda at the centre of all its undertakings, especially that it is now in its 50th year, so we want the people's interests over profits, human rights over corporate interests and it should be human rights over business." ACTIVIST LEADER SPEAKING INTO MEGAPHONE ACTIVISTS HOLDING BANNERS READING (Filipino): "DUTERTE WHERE IS THE JETSKI AND FLAG ON THE WEST PHILIPPINE SEA?" AND "DISMANTLE CHINESE MILITARY FACILITIES IN WEST PHILIPPINE SEA" MAN HOLDING POSTERS PLACARD READING (Filipino): "DISMANTLE CHINESE MILITARY FACILITIES IN WEST PHILIPPINE SEA" (SOUNDBITE) (Filipino) "ACTION TO ADDRESS CLIMATE CHANGE AND CALAMITIES" SPOKESPERSON, PING FAMPULME, SAYING: "Our government say we are allowed to fish, but our fishermen say they are not allowed inside the reef except on the outside, while the Chinese warships are there guarding the reef." ACTIVIST HOLDING ANTI-ASEAN BANNER ACTIVIST CARRYING VEGETABLES IN BASKET PROTESTERS CARRYING FISHING BOAT BANNER READING (English): "STOP ILLEGAL FISHING" / PROTESTERS MARCHING PAST
- Embargoed: 21st August 2017 05:37
- Keywords: protest activists ASEAN human rights ASEAN protest human rights protest Philippines
- Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- City: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016T5Q1QD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: About 300 activists marched to the Philippine International Convention Centre in Manila on Monday (August 7) calling on foreign ministers attending a regional meeting to prioritise human rights and address key issues in agriculture, fishing and the South China Sea.
Activists holding banners condemning different government policies and progress made by the regional ASEAN body, which celebrates its 50th anniversary this year, were barred by police from reaching the venue where ministers from 27 nations will be meeting later in the day.
Foreign ministers from 10 Southeast Asian nations and their dialogue partners, including China, the United States, South Korea, Japan, Russia and Australia, are in the Philippine capital for the Asian Regional Forum (ARF). North Korea's recent nuclear missile test is expected to top the agenda.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None