- Title: U.S. Secretary of State Tillerson meets Thai PM Prayuth as ties improve
- Date: 8th August 2017
- Summary: BANGKOK, THAILAND (AUGUST 8, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** THAI PRIME MINISTER PRAYUTH CHAN-OCHA WALKING INTO WAITING ROOM PRAYUTH STANDING AND WAITING U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE REX TILLERSON WALKING IN AND SHAKING HANDS WITH PRAYUTH PRAYUTH AND TILLERSON WALKING INTO MEETING ROOM PRAYUTH SHAKING HANDS WITH U.S. OFFICIALS PRAYUTH AND TILLERSON SITTING TILLERSON SITTING U.S. OFFICIALS SITTING PRAYUTH SITTING DURING MEETING PRAYUTH AND TILLERSON SITTING DURING MEETING MEETING IN PROGRESS THAI OFFICIALS SITTING DURING MEETING EXTERIOR OF GOVERNMENT HOUSE
- Embargoed: 22nd August 2017 08:55
- Keywords: USA Thailand Rex Tillerson Prayuth Chan-ocha meeting ties improve
- Location: BANGKOK, THAILAND
- City: BANGKOK, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TAQ1JB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson met Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha on Tuesday (August 8) during his official to Thailand considered a sign of improving diplomatic ties between the two countries.
This is the highest level visit by a U.S. official since a military coup in 2014 soured relations with the United States and brought the ruling junta closer to China.
One of Tillerson's top priorities has been urging Southeast Asian countries to do more to help cut funding streams for North Korea, with which he has held open the door for dialogue if it halts its recent series of missile tests. But Thailand's own politics and human rights record will also be in focus.
U.S. President Donald Trump has spoken to Prayuth and invited him to the White House, but no date has been set yet.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None