- Title: Amid standoff with U.S., North Korea releases jailed Canadian pastor
- Date: 9th August 2017
- Summary: INTERNET (AUGUST 9, 2017) (REUTERS) NORTH KOREA'S OFFICIAL KCNA NEWS AGENCY'S WEBSITE / CURSER CLICKING ON ARTICLE ABOUT RELEASING CANADIAN PASTOR, HYEON SOO LIM ARTICLE ABOUT RELEASING CANADIAN PASTOR, HYEON SOO LIM / PART OF ARTICLE BEING HIGHLIGHTED HIGHLIGHTED PART OF ARTICLE READING (Korean): "CANADIAN CIVILIAN HYEON SOO LIM, WHO WAS SENTENCED TO HARD LABOUR FOR LIFE AS HE CONDUCTED HOSTILE DEEDS AGAINST OUR COUNTRY WAS RELEASED ON SICK BAIL ACCORDING TO THE DECISION OF THE CENTRAL COURT OF THE DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF KOREA (DPRK) ON AUGUST 9, 2017 FROM THE HUMANITARIAN VIEWPOINT."
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2017 13:30
- Keywords: North Korea freeing Canadian pastor serving life sentence United States warning fire and fury Hyeon Soo Lim hard labor for life overthrowing regime
- Location: INTERNET / PYONGYANG, NORTH KOREA
- City: INTERNET / PYONGYANG, NORTH KOREA
- Country: North Korea
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TFPHL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:North Korea freed a Canadian pastor serving a life sentence there on humanitarian grounds, the official KCNA news agency said on Wednesday (August 9), just hours after the United States warned it would counter any threat from the North with "fire and fury".
The release came a day after Canadian officials said a delegation led by the country's national security adviser had traveled to North Korea to discuss the case of Hyeon Soo Lim, sentenced to hard labor for life in December 2015.
North Korea had accused Lim, who served in one of the largest churches in Canada, of attempting to overthrow the regime.
There was no obvious direct connection between the release and the standoff with the United States, but North Korea has in the past attracted the attention of Washington, and visits by high-profile Americans, with the detention and release of U.S. citizens.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.