- Title: U.S., Vietnamese defense chiefs hold talks on the South China Sea
- Date: 8th August 2017
- Summary: ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 8, 2017) (REUTERS) VIETNAMESE DEFENCE MINISTER NGO XUAN LICHT ARRIVING AT THE PENTAGON U.S. SECRETARY OF DEFENSE JAMES MATTIS WELCOMING VIETNAMESE DEFENCE MINISTER NGO XUAN LICHT BOTH MEN CLIMBS THE STAIRS STAND FOR THE PLAYING OF THEIR NATIONAL ANTHEMS MATTIS AND NGO STANDING AT ATTENTION AS NATIONAL ANTHEMS ARE PLAYED U.S. AND VIETNAMESE SERVICE MEMBERS STANDING AT ATTENTION WIDE OF THE BAND AS IT BEGINS TO PLAY THE AMERICAN NATIONAL ANTHEM, PAN TO THE STAIR CASE AND ZOOM IN ON MEMBERS OF THE MILITARY U.S. SECRETARY OF DEFENSE JAMES MATTIS, AND VIETNAMESE MINISTER OF DEFENCE NGO XUAN LICHT STANDING DURING THE END OF THE AMERICAN NATIONAL ANTHEM
- Embargoed: 22nd August 2017 17:10
- Keywords: James Mattis Vietnamese Minister of Defence NgÃ´ XuÃ¢n Lá»‹ch South China sea
- Location: ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES
- City: ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TAS1FR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. Secretary of Defense James Mattis on Tuesday (August 8) welcomed his Vietnamese counterpart to the Pentagon, where the growing tension between Vietnam and China over the South China Sea will be on the agenda.
Vietnamese Defence Minister Ngo Xuan Licht told Mattis that his visit to the U.S. was to also discuss areas of broader military cooperation.
"The United States welcomes Vietnam's engagement in the Asia-Pacific region, the wider Asia-Pacific region," Mattis told the Vietnamese Defence Minister during a photo op with reporters.
"Your role stands in stark contrast to the destabilizing and dangerous behavior of North Korea," he added.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.