- Title: Pragueâ€™s ban on two-wheeled vehicles draws uproar from cyclists
- Date: 10th August 2017
- Summary: PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC (FILE - JUNE 12, 2017) (REUTERS) BICYCLIST PROTESTING IN PRAGUE OLD TOWN SQUARE SPEAKER VARIOUS OF CYCLIST SIGNING PETITION AGAINST THE PLANNED REGULATION (SOUNDBITE) (Czech) DEMONSTRATOR, BARA TRUKSOVA, SAYING: "This decision is just a simplification of the problem which started when they banned Segways and the electric scooters showed up immediately instead. I think the restriction is a mistake, because only the cyclists will suffer, and they are riding responsibly." SCOOTER AMONG PEOPLE AT THE DEMONSTRATION (SOUNDBITE) (Czech) PROTEST ORGANIZER, VRATISLAV FILLER, SAYING: "The scooters are the main reason for this restriction and they (the town hall officials) didn't think through the effect it will have on bicycle traffic." CYCLIST PUSHING THEIR BIKES IN PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Czech) PROTEST ORGANIZER, VRATISLAV FILLER, SAYING: "About half of the bicycle routes in Prague centre lead through pedestrian zones. The restriction will totally curtail the whole bicycle traffic in Prague." CYCLISTS PUSHING THEIR BIKES IN PROTEST PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC (FILE - JULY 2016) (REUTERS) TOURISTS ON SEGWAYS CROSSING BRIDGE ON PAVEMENT VARIOUS OF SEGWAY RIDERS AMONG PEOPLE IN THE STREET AND OLD TOWN SQUARE
- Embargoed: 24th August 2017 14:05
- Keywords: Prague ban historical central district two-wheeled vehicles
- Location: PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
- City: PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
- Country: Czech Republic
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0026TKP1KP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: It was a sight only too common to be ignored: the already narrow, cobbled streets and lanes of Prague's medieval city centre were clogged with groups of tourists in helmets riding their Segways, forcing pedestrians to jump from their way.
But the bothersome problem seemed to be resolved after five years of legislative fight against Segways, when the Prague district 1 (Prague centre) town hall succeed and placed a road signs preventing the use of Segways in the old town centre and the carts disappeared.
One season later the Segways were replaced with a different nuisance. Entrepreneurs offering sightseeing tours on wheels didn't want to lose their business and began to offer tours through Prague's historical centre on bicycles as well as electric scooters.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None