- Title: Netanyahu accuses Israel's left, media of trying to oust him
- Date: 9th August 2017
- Summary: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL (AUGUST 09, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CROWD GATHERED AT LIKUD POLITICAL PARTY RALLY IN SUPPORT OF ISRAELI PRIME MINISTER BENJAMIN NETANYAHU ONE OF THE AUDIENCE HOLDING PICTURE OF NETANYAHU VARIOUS OF NETANYAHU ON STAGE
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2017 21:16
- Keywords: Likud event supporting Israeli PM Netanyahu Netanyahu giving speech
- Location: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- City: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TFRRRB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday (August 9) lashed out at Israel's political left-wing and the media, whom he accused of doing its bidding, and said they were trying to overthrow him.
Netanyahu spoke to hundreds of members of his right-wing Likud party who turned out at a rally which had the air of an election victory celebration as they waved Israeli flags and banners and chanted Netanyahu's nickname, "Bibi, Bibi."
In his 11 years of office, the conservative Netanyahu, who last won elections in 2015, has weathered several scandals and police inquiries. His approval ratings are generally solid, putting him ahead of potential challengers.
The Israeli leader has described the din of criminal investigations around him as "background noise" and has dismissed speculation he will be forced to resign by saying simply on Facebook this week: "Won't happen."
Netanyahu, 67, has been questioned under caution by police in two cases. One, "Case 1000" deals with gifts given to him and his family by businessmen, and another, "Case 2000" is related to conversations he held with an Israeli publisher.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.