- Title: U.S. sanctions Mexican soccer player Rafael Marquez for alleged drug ties.
- Date: 9th August 2017
- Summary: ****WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** TEAM SITTING DOWN VARIOUS OF MARQUEZ SITTING NEXT TO PRESIDENT ENRIQUE PENA NIETO DURING CEREMONY VARIOUS OF PENA NIETO GIVING MARQUEZ FLAG DURING CEREMONY AHEAD OF BRAZIL WORLD CUP
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2017 20:33
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0036TFRYV7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The U.S. Treasury Department said on Wednesday (August 9) it had sanctioned Mexican soccer star Rafael Marquez for allegedly serving as a front man for a suspected drug trafficker.
Marquez, from the cartel-riddled state of Michoacan, played in Europe for club sides Barcelona and Monaco, and still occasionally captains the national team, having represented his country in four World Cups.
Marquez, along with singer Julio Cesar Alvarez and almost two dozen other Mexican nationals, is accused of financial ties with Raul Flores Hernandez, a suspected drug trafficker with links to the Sinaloa cartel and the Jalisco New Generation gang.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None