- Title: U.S. sanctions Mexican soccer player Rafael Marquez for alleged drug ties.
- Date: 9th August 2017
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SOCCER PLAYER RAFAEL MARQUEZ DURING PRACTICE WITH TEAM-MATES TRAINER DRINKING WATER MARQUEZ WITH TEAM GETTING SHOES MARQUEZ ON RIGHT POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS MARQUEZ DURING NEWS CONFERENCE TALKING TO MEDIA (NOT A SOUNDBITE) NEWS CONFERENCE WITH MEDIA LISTENING AND MARQUEZ SITTING IN REAR MARQUEZ DURING NEWS CONFERENCE TALKING TO MEDIA (NOT A SOUNDBITE)
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2017 20:33
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TFRYV7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The U.S. Treasury Department said on Wednesday (August 9) it had sanctioned Mexican soccer star Rafael Marquez for allegedly serving as a front man for a suspected drug trafficker.
Marquez, from the cartel-riddled state of Michoacan, played in Europe for club sides Barcelona and Monaco, and still occasionally captains the national team, having represented his country in four World Cups.
Marquez, along with singer Julio Cesar Alvarez and almost two dozen other Mexican nationals, is accused of financial ties with Raul Flores Hernandez, a suspected drug trafficker with links to the Sinaloa cartel and the Jalisco New Generation gang.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None