- Title: Germany urges China, Russia to rein in N.Korea
- Date: 9th August 2017
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (AUGUST 9, 2017) (REUTERS) START OF NEWS CONFERENCE OF GOVERNMENT SPOKESPERSONS SIGN READING (German) GOVERNMENT PRESS GERMAN GOVERNMENT AND FOREIGN OFFICE SPOKESPERSONS SITTING JOURNALISTS TAKING NOTES (SOUNDBITE) (German) SPOKESMAN FOR GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTER SIGMAR GABRIEL, MARTIN SCHAEFER, SAYING: "We are following the increasing rhetorical escalation on and around the Korean peninsula with grave concern. The situation is very serious. Continued sabre rattling will not help anyone. A military engagement cannot be the solution for a nuclear-weapon free region, South-East Asia. It cannot also not be the solution for the provocations of North Korea. We call on all those involved to exercise restraint. We have to all continue with our diplomatic efforts, only then can the threat posed by North Korea's nuclear programme that is against international law be limited." JOURNALISTS TAKING NOTES (SOUNDBITE) (German) SPOKESMAN FOR GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTER SIGMAR GABRIEL, MARTIN SCHAEFER, SAYING: "These sanctions must be consistently implemented. This way we can increase the pressure on Pyongyang to take part in talks. We see the offer of the U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson as the right way to push-start the talks with North Korea the minute the North Korean regime desists from carrying out missile tests that go against international law." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN GOVERNMENT SPOKESWOMAN, ULRIKE DEMMER, SAYING: "The goal of the German government is to avoid a further military escalation and to settle the conflict in the North Pacific peacefully. In the interests of the North Korean people this should also be the goal of the North Korean leadership. A first step towards this should be the abstention of further nuclear armament." MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN GOVERNMENT SPOKESWOMAN, ULRIKE DEMMER, SAYING: "China and Russia have a special responsibility to do everything they can to dissuade North Korea from a path of escalation. Without the nuclear armament of North Korea it would not have come to the comments by U.S. President Donald Trump so as I have already said the solution rests with the leadership in Pyongyang." END OF NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2017 13:27
- Keywords: North Korea military escalation China and Russia missile strike Guam
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TFQREV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Germany on Wednesday (August 9) called on China and Russia to dissuade Pyongyang from pursuing policies that would lead to a military escalation on the Korean peninsula after North Korea said it was considering a missile strike on Guam.
"The goal of the German government is to avoid a further military escalation and to settle the conflict in the North Pacific peacefully," government spokeswoman Ulrike Demmer said.
"China and Russia have a special responsibility to do everything they can to dissuade North Korea from a path of escalation," she added.
The Foreign Ministry said the situation was extremely serious.
Earlier North Korea said it was considering plans for a missile strike on the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam after U.S. President Donald Trump told the North that any threat to his country would be met with "fire and fury".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None