- Title: Kenyatta maintains strong lead in Kenya vote - election commission
- Date: 9th August 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF NEWSPAPER HEADLINES READING (English): 'Uhuru opens a 1.2 million gap / Uhuru leads/ Uhuru takes the lead in early vote count'
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2017 07:35
- Keywords: Kenyan elections reactions results newspaper headlines President Uhuru Kenyatta
- Location: NAIROBI, KENYA
- City: NAIROBI, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0026TFP8W7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Kenya's capital Nairobi got off to a slow start on Wednesday (August 9) morning after a vote that has seen incumbent President Uhuru Kenyatta maintaining a strong lead in the election count.
Streets in the capital were quiet due to fears of post-election violence.
The electoral commission website showed Kenyatta with 54.8 percent of the vote against 44.3 percent for opposition leader Raila Odinga, a margin of nearly 1.4 million votes.
Odinga rejected early results as "fictitious" and "fake", lashing out in a late night news conference saying his party's own tally put him in the lead.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.