- Title: Franklin seen hitting Mexico as season's first Atlantic hurricane
- Date: 9th August 2017
- Summary: VERACRUZ, MEXICO (AUGUST 9, 2017) (REUTERS) FISHERMEN ON BOAT IN SEA
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2017 21:15
- Keywords: Mexico Franklin Tropical Storm Hurricane Veracruz Wind
- Location: VERACRUZ AND MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: VERACRUZ AND MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA0036TFSBIF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tropical Storm Franklin, now a Category 1 hurricane, is set to crash into eastern Mexico's key oil-producing Gulf state of Veracruz as the Atlantic's first hurricane of 2017, the U.S. National Hurricane Centre said on Wednesday (August 9).
On Wednesday afternoon, the storm was located about 105 miles (170 km) northeast of Veracruz and was blowing maximum sustained winds of 75 mph (120 kph), the centre said. The storm is moving west at 12 mph (19 kph) and its centre is expected to reach Veracruz on Wednesday evening or Thursday (August 10) morning.
Franklin is seen weakening rapidly after making landfall, the NHC said.
Fishermen in the port of Veracruz were seen pulling their vessels out of the water and lining them up along the street to prevent damages ahead of the storm.
Veracruz, a major oil producer, is home to two important petroleum ports in Tuxpan and the city of Veracruz.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None