- Title: Israeli ex soldier starts jail term over Hebron shooting
- Date: 9th August 2017
- Summary: NEAR RAMLE, ISRAEL (AUGUST 9, 2017) (REUTERS) CROWD OF SUPPORTERS AND JOURNALISTS SURROUNDING RED CAR IN WHICH EX-ISRAELI SOLDIER ELOR AZARIA HAS ARRIVED IN AN ISRAELI ARMY PRISON TO START SERVING HIS TIME, AFTER MILITARY APPEALS COURT UPHELD A MANSLAUGHTER CONVICTION AND 18-MONTH JAIL SENTENCE FOR HIS SHOOTING TO DEATH IN A PALESTINIAN ASSAILANT IN THE WEST BANK CITY OF HEBRON AZARIA, FAMILY MEMBERS IN VEHICLE SURROUNDED BY JOURNALISTS SUPPORTERS/ AZARIA GETTING OUT OF CAR, JOURNALISTS SURROUNDING HIM AZARIA AND FAMILY MEMBERS GETTING BACK INTO CAR VARIOUS OF SUPPORTERS CHANTING 'ELOR IS A HERO' VARIOUS OF VEHICLE CARRYING AZARIA DRIVING INTO ARMY BASE VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS LOCKING GATE (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED MAN WHO ARRIVED WITH CHILD TO SUPPORT AZARIA, SAYING: "He made a mistake but he didn't murder nobody, he murdered a mehabel (Hebrew for terrorist) that need to be killed and it's a mistake, OK, he can pay but not in jail." VARIOUS OF AZARIA'S SUPPORTERS
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2017 09:02
- Keywords: Israeli-Palestinian conflict Israeli shooting soldier Hebron shooting Jail term Manslaughter
- Location: NEAR RAMLE, ISRAEL
- City: NEAR RAMLE, ISRAEL
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TFOTVR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A former Israeli army conscript who killed an incapacitated Palestinian assailant in the occupied West Bank started his jail term on Wednesday (August 9), after an Israeli military appeal court upheld a manslaughter conviction and 18-month jail sentence last month.
Supporters of the now ex-soldier Elor Azaria gathered outside the military jail to protest against the result of one of the most divisive trials in the Israel's history, where a panel of judges, including field generals, rejected Azaria's claim that he had acted in line with defence doctrines.
In March 2015, Azaria was serving as an army medic in the town of Hebron in the occupied West Bank when two Palestinians stabbed and wounded another soldier. One of the assailants was shot dead by troops. The other was shot and wounded.
Eleven minutes later, as the wounded man, Abd Elfatah Ashareef, 21, lay on the ground unable to move, Azaria, then 19, took aim with his rifle and fatally shot him in the head. The incident was captured on video by a Palestinian rights activist.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None