- Title: China quake destroys buildings, aftershocks continue
- Date: 10th August 2017
- Summary: JIUZHAIGOU COUNTY, NGAWA PREFECTURE, SICHUAN PROVINCE, CHINA (AUGUST 10, 2017) (REUTERS) SMALL ROCKS FALLING OFF THE MOUNTAIN LANDSLIDE ON THE MOUNTAIN WITH DESTROYED GLASS BUILDING VARIOUS OF BROKEN GLASS ON THE GROUND BROKEN GLASS DOOR JARPO TOWN - TOURIST ATTRACTION AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MOUNTAIN CHINESE FLAG FLYING / LANDSLIDE SITE IN BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF DESTROYED TOWER SQUARE OF JARPO TOWN CHAIR AND BED SHEETS ON THE GROUND CLOTHES AND ROCKS ON THE GROUND VARIOUS OF LOCAL VILLAGERS, YANG FUCHENG AND HOU DAICHENG SITTING DOWN CIGARETTE IN YANG'S HAND YANG SMOKING CIGARETTE (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) YANG FUCHENG, 47, LOCAL VILLAGER, SAYING: "I was scared. When all the staff went out there into the square, they were all crying. I saw a few tourists' faces covered in blood. They lied down on the ground and were scared, every corner was shaking. Stones were rolling out in front of us, and they were rolling out from everywhere. We were afraid to run out. There were many people gathering here in the square." YANG AND HOU CHATTING HOU SITTING (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) HOU DAICHENG, 46, LOCAL VILLAGER, SAYING: "I was scared. I was afraid that I wouldn't be alive anymore. I was really scared. The house was shaking, and when it started shaking, I ran out from it, eventually." STONES ON THE ROOF WITH LANDSLIDE BEHIND PERSON WALKING ON EMPTY STREET STONES ON THE GROUND VARIOUS OF BILLBOARD LEANING AGAINST THE WALL BRICKS FALLING OFF THE WALL BRICKS ON THE GROUND DAMAGED STONE TOWER IN TOWN STONE TOWER STONES ON THE GROUND BROKEN LIGHT
- Embargoed: 24th August 2017 14:41
- Keywords: China quake destroys construction aftershocks continue China earthquake quake damage
- Location: JIUZHAIGOU COUNTY, NGAWA PREFECTURE, SICHUAN PROVINCE, CHINA
- City: JIUZHAIGOU COUNTY, NGAWA PREFECTURE, SICHUAN PROVINCE, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TKPF0L
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Buildings were destroyed by a 7.0-magnitude earthquake in China's southwestern province of Sichuan, while aftershocks continued to jolt the mountainous area on Thursday (August 10).
As of 12 p.m. (0400 GMT) on Thursday, 20 people were killed including six tourists, two residents and 11 whose identities have yet to be confirmed, state television said, adding that 431 were injured.
In total, 1,904 aftershocks have been detected as of 6 p.m. (1000 GMT) on Thursday, the Chinese Earthquake Administration said.
The quake hit a sparsely populated area 200 km. (120 miles) northwest of the city of Guangyuan late on Tuesday (August 8) at a depth of 10 km. (6 miles), the U.S. Geological Survey said. It was also close to the Jiuzhaigou nature reserve, a tourist destination.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None