- Title: Fighting intensifies as SDF presses assault in IS-controlled Raqqa
- Date: 10th August 2017
- Summary: RAQQA, SYRIA (AUGUST 10, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SMOKE RISING ABOVE BUILDINGS HIT BY AIR STRIKE (AUDIO OF GUN FIRE) VIEW OF SMOKE RISING ABOVE BUILDINGS SEEN FROM HOLE IN WALL (AUDIO OF GUNFIRE) SYRIAN DEMOCRATIC FORCES (SDF) MEMBERS WALKING DOWN STREET SEEN FROM HOLE IN WALL (AUDIO OF GUN FIRE) SDF MEMBER KEEPING WATCH AND FIRING GUN THROUGH HOLE IN WALL IN AL SENAA DISTRICT VARIOUS OF SDF MEMBER LOOKING THROUGH HOLE IN WALL SMOKE RISING ABOVE BUILDINGS SEEN THROUGH HOLE IN WALL (AUDIO OF GUN FIRE) (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SYRIAN DEMOCRATIC FORCES MEMBER FROM RAQQA, MOHAMMED ABDALLAH, SAYING: "(I am) with my people, the people of my area and those of all Syria. Our operation continues to free our country from the oppression and injustice we have lived in, and we are now in Raqqa province, hopefully advancing. A small number of them (Islamic State militants) is left and we will be done with them, and people will come back home and life will return to normal." BUILDINGS BEING HIT BY AIR STRIKE, FIRE AND SMOKE RISING (AUDIO OF EXPLOSION) SMOKE RISING ABOVE BUILDINGS (AUDIO OF HEAVY GUN FIRE AND MAN SAYING (English): "VERY NICE, VERY NICE, VERY GOOD" VARIOUS OF HEAVY SMOKE RISING FROM BEHIND DAMAGED BUILDINGS (AUDIO OF HEAVY GUN FIRE) VARIOUS OF BUILDINGS IN CITY (AUDIO OF GUN FIRE) SMOKE RISING ABOVE AREA HIT BY AIR STRIKE SMOKE RISING SEEN FROM HOLE IN WALL (AUDIO OF GUN FIRE)
- Embargoed: 24th August 2017 17:22
- Keywords: Raqqa offensive Syrian Democratic Forces in Raqqa Islamic State in Raqqa
- Location: RAQQA, SYRIA
- City: RAQQA, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TKRFPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) pressed their assault on Raqqa on Thursday (August 10) having Islamic State fighters surrounded in central part of the northern Syrian city.
Units of the Syrian Democratic Forces, an alliance dominated by the Kurdish YPG, fully linked up in Raqqa's southern districts on Tuesday (August 8), encircling the militants in the city centre which includes the Old City.
The advances in the multi-phased Raqqa offensive are proceeding cautiously, officials say, as Islamic State uses snipers, car bombs and booby traps, and forbids civilians to leave, prolonging the effort to flush the jihadists out.
The SDF, backed by the air strikes and coalition special forces, have been fighting since June to clear Islamic State from Raqqa city, its de facto Syrian capital. A separate campaign drove the group from its Iraqi stronghold of Mosul last month.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None