- Title: Turkey detains suspected IS militant for planning to bring down U.S. plane -Dogan
- Date: 10th August 2017
- Summary: ADANA, TURKEY (FILE) (REUTERS) TRAIN PASSING BY INCIRLIK AIRBASE FIGHTER JET TAKING OFF FIGHTER JET FLYING FIGHTER JET LANDING
- Embargoed: 24th August 2017 14:14
- Keywords: Renat Bakiev Russian IS militant detained in Turkey Incirlik air base Adana city drone attack on U.S. plane
- Location: ADANA, TURKEY
- City: ADANA, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA0026TKQO1Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Turkish authorities have detained a suspected Islamic State militant of Russian origin after he allegedly planned to sabotage a U.S. plane at the Incirlik air base, Dogan News Agency said on Thursday (August 10).
Dogan, citing security officials, said Russian national Renat Bakiev was detained after police surveillance showed him scouting the southern city of Adana, where the base is located, with the aim of launching attack.
Bakiev told authorities that he was a member of Islamic State, and planned to use a drone to bring down a U.S. plane and carry out an attack against U.S. nationals, Dogan said.
Authorities said he had also scouted an association of the Alevi religious minority in Adana. He described Alevis as "enemies of Allah", and criticised President Tayyip Erdogan, while being interrogated, Dogan said.
Turkey has been a partner in the U.S.-led coalition against Islamic State forces, providing the coalition with access to Incirlik air base to wage strikes against the militants.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None