- Title: Police fire live rounds to disperse protesters in Nairobi slum
- Date: 10th August 2017
- Summary: NAIROBI, KENYA (AUGUST 10, 2017) (REUTERS) PROTESTER'S BODY CARRIED AWAY BY PROTESTERS IN A SHEET IN KAWANGWARE SLUM/ CROWDS SHOUTING (SWAHILI) "Kill us all" PROTESTERS CARRYING MAN PAST RIOTS POLICE OFFICERS WITH RIFLES RIOT POLICE AND POLICE OFFICERS ON THE STREETS RESIDENTS RUNNING PAST RIOT POLICE VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE MARCHING ON THE STREETS PROTESTERS THROWING STONES ON THE STREETS RIOT POLICE OFFICER THROWING TEAR GAS MORE OF RIOT POLICE MARCHING ON THE STREETS PROTESTERS ON THE STREETS VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE AIMING AND FIRING LIVE AMMUNITION ON THE STREETS MORE OF RIOT POLICE MARCHING ON THE STREETS RIOT POLICE OFFICER FIRING A RIFLE RIOT POLICE ON THE STREETS
- Embargoed: 24th August 2017 13:41
- Keywords: Protesters in Nairobi's Kawangware slum clashed with police riot police Raila Odinga Kenyan elections
- Location: NAIROBI, KENYA
- City: NAIROBI, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TKQKW7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Protesters in Nairobi's Kawangware slum clashed with police on Thursday (August 10) and at least one man was badly injured.
He was carried out of the area which was cordoned off by police who fired tear gas at dozens of supporters of opposition leader Raila Odinga who has rejected election results that show his opponent Uhuru Kenyatta has a strong lead.
Police shot live bullets at protesters.
Youths burned tyres and threw stones.
It was the second day of violence since Odinga claimed the election system had been hacked.
On Wednesday police shot dead at least three people and protesters killed a fourth, witnesses said. Although the violence remained largely contained, Kenyans were nervously hoping to avoid a repetition of the ethnic killings that followed a disputed 2007 presidential poll, when some 1,200 people died.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None