- Title: Cars, hotel destroyed in China's Sichuan quake that kills 19
- Date: 10th August 2017
- Summary: JIUZHAIGOU COUNTY, NGAWA PREFECTURE, SICHUAN PROVINCE, CHINA (AUGUST 10, 2017) (REUTERS) ROCK AND DAMAGED BUS DAMAGED BUMPER SLIPPER AND CABLE ON GROUND PEOPLE RUNNING WITH LUGGAGES BULLDOZER DRIVING BY CAR DRIVING BY A DESTROYED CAR
- Embargoed: 24th August 2017 07:42
- Keywords: China earthquake jiuzhaigou tourists damage on vehicles and buildings disaster
- Location: JIUZHAIGOU, CHINA
- City: JIUZHAIGOU, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TKPB2D
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: On the road to the epicentre of a 7.0-magnitude earthquake that struck China's southwestern province of Sichuan, traces of damage are visible two days after the deadly disaster.
Workers are working around the clock to clear damaged cars crushed by falling rocks and hotel ruined by earthquake. The provincial government and official media said at least 20 people were killed and 247 injured.
The quake hit a sparsely populated area 200 km (120 miles) northwest of the city of Guangyuan late on Tuesday (August 8) at a depth of 10 km (6 miles), the U.S. Geological Survey said. It was also close to the Jiuzhaigou nature reserve, a tourist destination. Over 50,000 people had been evacuated from the quake zone, Chinese state media CCTV reported.
Sichuan is frequently struck by tremors. A huge quake there in May 2008 killed almost 70,000 people.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None