- Title: Israel warns Hamas not to try to foil its anti-tunnel Gaza wall
- Date: 10th August 2017
- Summary: SOLDIERS USING VIRTUAL REALITY TO TRAIN FOR TUNNELS COMBAT VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS TRAINING IN A FACILITY SIMULATING HAMAS' TUNNELS
- Embargoed: 24th August 2017 11:37
- Keywords: Israel Israel's underground barrier Gaza Strip tunnels Hamas IDF civilians Israeli-Palestinian conflict Israeli army cross border tunnels
- Location: ISRAEL-GAZA BORDER, ISRAEL/ ABOVE, UNDERGROUND AND GAZA CITY, GAZA/ PETAH TIKVA, ISRAEL
- City: ISRAEL-GAZA BORDER, ISRAEL/ ABOVE, UNDERGROUND AND GAZA CITY, GAZA/ PETAH TIKVA, ISRAEL
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0076TKOQIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israel warned Gaza's Hamas rulers on Thursday (August 10) not to try to foil its construction of a border wall designed to stop tunnels between the two sides, saying it had mapped militant emplacements hidden under civilian sites in the Palestinian enclave that may be attacked in any new war.
Hamas accused Israel of belligerence.
The unusually detailed Israeli threat followed a rocket launch on Tuesday (August 8) which caused no damage in Israel and went unclaimed by Gazan groups. Israel responded with an air strike on a Hamas facility that medics said wounded seven people, in a relatively rare flare-up since the last Gaza war, in 2014.
Last year, Israel went public with a sensor-equipped underground wall being planted on its side of the 37 mile- (60 km) long border, a counter-measure developed after Hamas fighters used tunnels to blindside its troops during the war.
A new buffer zone within Israel's territory, dozens of metres (yards) in width, will afford it extra time to respond by depriving Hamas tunnellers of targets on the frontier.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None