- Title: Guam residents somewhat anxious but unafraid of North Korean missile threats
- Date: 11th August 2017
- Summary: TAMUNING, GUAM (AUGUST 11, 2017) (REUTERS) GUAM SHORELINE BANK OF GUAM/SKYLINE/TRAFFIC HAGATNA, GUAM (AUGUST 11, 2017) (REUTERS) SHUTTLE BUS ON ROAD FLOWERS ON TREE TRAFFIC (SOUNDBITE) (English) 26 YEAR-OLD COOK AND GUAM RESIDENT J'RAE TEDTAOTAO, SAYING: "It's pretty scary, the thought of it...I mean, I know as a person who lived on Guam, like all her life, you still gotta worry about what's happening out there, and at the same time, still go through your daily life, your daily routine, so you got your worries on top of this whole thing that island is worrying about." TOURISTS PLAYING ON BEACH TOURISTS FLOATING IN THE WATER PEOPLE ON BEACH BRIDE POSING FOR WEDDING PICTURES (SOUNDBITE) (English) 47 YEAR-OLD SALESMAN AND GUAM RESIDENT, PETER TOVES, SAYING: "If they threaten us, bring it. The U.S. is strong. I'm pretty sure we got 'em. I have a cousin who lives in South Korea so he texted the family chat saying don't worry about it, go on with your lives, drink beer, have fun, enjoy the sun, so no worries." TOURISTS TAKING SELFIES ON BEACH PEOPLE SWIMMING IN OCEAN BOATS FLOATING ON WATER
- Embargoed: 25th August 2017 03:24
- Keywords: Guam residents Guam beach unafraid of North Korea threat missile threats
- Location: TAMUNING/HAGATNA, GUAM
- City: TAMUNING/HAGATNA, GUAM
- Country: Guam
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TPP4JR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Guam residents said they were anxious but overall "unworried" on Friday (August 11) morning amid missile threats from North Korea.
The island's beaches and shopping district appeared to be bustling with Korean and Japanese tourists.
North Korea's state media has said that, under the plan to be presented to leader Kim Jong Un, four intermediate-range missiles would be fired into waters 30-40 km (18-25 miles) from Guam "to signal a crucial warning to the United States".
Guam is home to about 163,000 people and a U.S. military base that includes a submarine squadron, an air base and a Coast Guard group.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None