- Title: Cambodia sends troops to Laos border
- Date: 12th August 2017
- Summary: PHNOM PENH, CAMBODIA (AUGUST 11, 2017) (REUTERS) ASSEMBLED MEDIA TAKING PHOTOS OF THE CAMBODIAN ARMY CONVOY HEADING TO LAO BORDER CONVOY OF VEHICLES CARRYING SOLDIERS DRIVING PAST CONVOY PASSING INDEPENDENCE MONUMENT CAMBODIAN SOLDIERS ON ARMY TRUCK CHEERING VARIOUS OF CONVOY PASSING PEOPLE TAKING PHOTOGRAPHS OF ARMY CONVOY
- Embargoed: 26th August 2017 00:24
- Keywords: Cambodia Laos border disbute soldiers miltary convoy
- Location: PHNOM PENH, CAMBODIA
- City: PHNOM PENH, CAMBODIA
- Country: Cambodia
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TPS2FB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Cambodia mobilised soldiers that headed towards the border with neighbours Laos on Friday (August 11), amid escalating tensions.
Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen on Friday accused neighbouring Laos of sending troops into Cambodian territory in April and set an Aug. 17 deadline for their departure, warning that he was mobilising soldiers to the border area.
Those troops were seen passing through Phnom Penh, heading towards the border.
Hun Sen said at a ceremony in the Cambodian capital he had been in touch with the government in Laos about 30 soldiers from Laos who had crossed into the area, where some remained during daytime.
Laos and Cambodia have a territorial and border demarcation dispute, an official at the Laos embassy in Phnom Penh told Reuters.
In a long-running dispute, land around an ancient temple on the Thai-Cambodian border was the scene of sporadic gun and artillery battles, with 28 killed in the worst incident in 2011.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None