- Title: Violence breaks out in Odinga strongholds after Kenyatta victory speech
- Date: 11th August 2017
- Summary: MATHARE, NAIROBI, KENYA (AUGUST 11, 2017) (REUTERS) VIEW OF BURNING PROPERTY IN MATHARE SLUM RIOT POLICE TRYING TO REMOVE PIECE OF WOOD FROM BURNING PROPERTY VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE PATROLLING MORE OF RIOT POLICE WALKING AND FIRING TEARGAS, AS DEBRIS BURNS POLICEMAN MOVING BURNING DEBRIS WITH STICK POLICEMAN POINTING TO BUILDING WHILE DEBRIS BURNS NEARBY POLICEMAN POINTING GUN TOWARDS BUILDING, WHILE ANOTHER MOVES DEBRIS BLOCKING ROAD MORE OF BURNING DEBRIS VARIOUS OF POLICEMEN WALKING WHILE PROPERTY BURNS THREE MEN SHOUTING AT CAMERA WHILE PROPERTY BURNS AROUND THEM POLICEMEN EXTINGUISHING FIRE POLICEMEN GIVING COLLEAGUE TEARGAS CANISTERS MORE OF POLICEMEN EXTINGUISHING FIRE VARIOUS OF MATHARE RESIDENTS CHEERING AND DANCING TO CELEBRATE PRESIDENT UHURU KENYATTA BEING NAMED WINNER OF PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION
- Embargoed: 25th August 2017 22:41
- Keywords: violence Kenya election Odinga Kenyatta victory
- Location: MATHARE, NAIROBI, KENYA
- City: MATHARE, NAIROBI, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TPRW3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Violence erupted in a part of the Mathare slum of Nairobi on Friday (August 11) shortly after President Uhuru Kenyatta was officially re-elected and extended an olive branch to his opponent, Raila Odinga, and his supporters.
Kenyatta's rivals rejected the result, raising the prospect of street protests.
Police fired tear gas and gunshots were heard in the Nairobi slums of Mathare and Kawangware, where young men took to the streets as police helicopters buzzed overhead.
In Kisumu, an Odinga stronghold in the west, youths banged drums and tyres burned in the streets in the Kondele district.
Police fanned out in Mathare where a market had been set alight and Odinga supporters taunted them from afar.
In another part of the slum area a handful of Kenyans celebrated Kenyatta's victory.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None