- Title: Kenyan market ablaze in local election unrest
- Date: 11th August 2017
- Summary: GARISSA, KENYA (AUGUST 10, 2017) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) MARKET STALLS BURNING
- Embargoed: 25th August 2017 14:13
- Keywords: Garissa Kenya Kenya elections Kenya unrest Garissa market market fire kenya protestors
- Location: GARISSA, KENYA
- City: GARISSA, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TPONYF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The main market in the eastern town of Garissa, Kenya, was set on fire when a crowd protesting the results from the Garissa county governor's race tried to set a petrol station ablaze.
Market trader Ahmed Mohamed said his stall had burned down and two of his workers were injured when groups of men clashed using machetes and stones.
Four people were killed in violence related to Kenya's presidential election in other parts of the country on Wednesday (August 9), and Kenyans are bracing for further unrest ahead of an expected announcement that President Uhuru Kenyatta has won re-election, despite allegations by opposition leader Raila Odinga of vote-rigging.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None