- Title: Asian shares slide on North Korea fears
- Date: 11th August 2017
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (AUGUST 11, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF KOREA EXCHANGE BUILDING SIGN READING (Korean and English): "KRX" ELECTRONIC BOARD ELECTRONIC BOARD SHOWING KOREA COMPOSITE STOCK PRICE INDEX (KOSPI) VARIOUS OF ELECTRONIC BOARD SHOWING STOCK PRICES COMPUTER MONITORS AND ELECTRONIC BOARD COMPUTER MONITOR SHOWING KOSPI MAN STANDING INTERIOR OF KRX SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA (AUGUST 11, 2017) REUTERS) AUSTRALIAN STOCK EXCHANGE BUILDING ELECTRONIC BOARD DISPLAYING LOSSES AND GAINS AND GRAPHS ELECTRONIC BOARD DISPLAYING STOCK PRICES VARIOUS OF S&P ASX 200 GRAPH TOP 10 S&P ASX 200 LOSSES AND GAINS
- Embargoed: 25th August 2017 09:25
- Keywords: North Korea Donald Trump markets slide Seoul Sydney
- Location: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA/SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA/SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: Various
- Topics: Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TPPA2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Asian shares plunged on Friday (August 11) following President Donald Trump's fresh warning that North Korea not strike Guam or U.S. allies.
Australian shares closed at their lowest in nearly three weeks on Friday as investors fled to safer assets amid the inflammatory exchange of words between North Korea and the United States.
The S&P/ASX 200 index fell 67.83 points, or 1.2 percent, to 5,693.1 at the close of trade for a weekly loss of 0.5 percent.
South Korean shares ended at an 11-week low on Friday as anxious offshore investors sold stocks following Trump's fresh warning.
The Korea Composite Stock Price Index (KOSPI) closed down 1.7 percent at 2,319.71 points, its lowest closing level since May 24.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None