- Title: Missing person case brings back painful memories of Argentina's disappeared
- Date: 11th August 2017
- Summary: GROUP OF MARCHERS PLAYING MUSIC FEET OF PERSON WITH CANE MARCHING TO MUSIC SIGN READING "WHERE IS SANTIAGO?"
- Embargoed: 25th August 2017 23:57
- Keywords: Argentina disappeared Santiago Maldonado Mapuche Benetton Mauricio Macri Cristina Fernandez
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- City: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0046TPQKOZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A missing person case has stirred up painful memories in Argentina as family and friends of Santiago Maldonado claim he was 'disappeared' by security forces after protesting the treatment of indigenous people in Patagonia.
Santiago Maldonado, who had travelled to Argentina's far south to protest the eviction of an indigenous group from lands owned by Italian clothing company, Benetton, was reportedly arrested by security forces for blocking a road on August 1. He has not been seen since.
Argentina's government offered a $27,000 dollar reward for information on Maldonado after the United Nations called for the government to act on the case.
Maldonado's case has gripped Argentina, which decades later is still working to identify victims of the country's 'Dirty War,' when a military junta ruled the country and routinely murdered dissenters.
Cristina Fernandez, a former president and current candidate for Senate, raised the profile of the case when she tweeted on Sunday (August 6) that "Santiago should appear and should appear alive." And on Friday (August 11) thousands of people joined a march in Buenos Aires to demand Maldonado's return.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.