- Title: Kenya prepares for final election results, opposition rejects outcome
- Date: 11th August 2017
- Summary: NAIROBI, KENYA (AUGUST 11, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** INTERIOR OF INDEPENDENT ELECTORAL BOUNDARIES COMMISSION (IEBC) AT BOMAS OFFICIALS WRITING AS THEY CHECK 34B FORMS MORE OFFICIALS COMPILING NOTES OFFICIAL LOOKING ON NOTES AND 34B FORMS BEING CHECKED AGAINST RESULTS ON THE DESK OFFICIALS IN THE ROOM OFFICIAL SEATED, TAKING NOTES AND CHECKING THE 34B FORMS OFFICIALS IN THE ROOM ANOTHER OFFICIAL SEATED, TAKING NOTES AND CHECKING 34B FORMS CHAIRMAN OF THE IEBC WAFULA CHEBUKATI ARRIVING AND TAKING SEATS ON STAGE PEOPLE GATHERED IN ROOM CEO OF THE IEBC, EZRA CHILOBA, SPEAKING AT PODIUM PEOPLE LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (English) IEBC CHAIRMAN, WAFULA CHEBUKATI, SAYING: "We promised, undertook to get all the forms 34Bs by twelve noon today. So far we have received 273 forms 34Bs. So we are still expecting 17 forms 34Bs." PEOPLE SITTING IN THE ROOM OFFICIALS IN THE ROOM OPPOSITION LEADER NASA COALITION RAILA ODINGA'S CAR ARRIVING AT BOMAS ODINGA GETTING OUT OF CAR ODINGA STANDING IN STREET ODINGA WALKING TOWARDS BUILDING DEPUTY PRESIDENT WILLIAM RUTO ARRIVING AND GREETING PEOPLE RUTO WALKING TOWARDS BUILDING
- Embargoed: 25th August 2017 13:24
- Keywords: Kenya election result Electoral Commission Raila Odinga opposition leader Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission
- Location: NAIROBI, KENYA
- City: NAIROBI, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TPQ5ON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Kenya prepared to hear the final results of a fraught general election on Friday (August 11), beset by delays following accusations by the main opposition leader Raila Odinga that poll station figures compiled by the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) were fake.
Results in each polling station are recorded on a form - known as 34A - that observers from each party must sign. These are then scanned and sent to the election board for posting online, a measure designed to combat rigging.
Once forms 34A are handed over to Constituency Returning Officers, they fill Form 34B used for the collation of the presidential results in each constituency.
The commission said on Friday afternoon that it had almost received all of the forms needed for the final election result.
Senior party officials, including Odinga, have been arriving at the IEBC ahead of the expected results announcement.
Provisional results have shown the 55-year-old Uhuru Kenyatta, vying for a second and final five-year term, with a 1.4 million vote lead at 54.23 percent.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None