- Title: Car plows into crowd in Charlottesville
- Date: 12th August 2017
- Summary: CHARLOTTESVILLE, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 12, 2017) (REUTERS) INJURED PEDESTRIAN ON THE GROUND, SURROUNDED BY OTHER BYSTANDERS PEDESTRIANS ON THE GROUND, BEING TENDED TO BY EMERGENCY OFFICIALS WOMAN ON THE GROUND EMERGENCY OFFICIALS ARRIVING ON THE SCENE ANOTHER VICTIM ON THE GROUND INJURED WOMAN BEING CARRIED OUT TWO REAR-ENDED VEHICLES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD WIDE OF WOMAN ON GURNEY INJURED WOMAN ON THE GROUND POLICE IN RIOT GEAR WALKING ON SIDEWALK REAR-ENDED CAR POLICE IN RIOT GEAR WIDE OF SCENE
- Embargoed: 26th August 2017 20:02
- Keywords: Charlottesville Unite the Right Virginia protests Robert E Lee statue Car KKK rally supremacists pedestrians nationalists Black Lives Matter
- Location: CHARLOTTESVILLE, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES
- City: CHARLOTTESVILLE, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TUOSHZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:White nationalists clashed with counter-demonstrators in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Saturday (August 12), prompting the governor to declare an emergency and halt a rally to protest the planned removal of a Confederate general's statue from a public park.
Tensions in the city intensified hours after the melee when at least one vehicle plowed a crowd of people gathered in a street two blocks from the park, according to witnesses and a city spokeswoman, causing multiple injuries. Television images showed injured pedestrians on the ground surrounded by other bystanders and emergency crews.
It was not clear whether this incident was connected to the earlier confrontations. But a video shown on CNN appeared to show a silver sedan driving at high speed into the crowd before reversing.
The fighting broke out in the city's downtown before noon when hundreds of people, some wearing white nationalist symbols and carrying Confederate battle flags, were confronted by a nearly equal number of counter-protesters. The clashes began the previous evening, resulting in at least one arrest.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None