- Title: Indonesian roof tile labourers transform into bodybuilders for annual competition
- Date: 12th August 2017
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** AUDIENCE WATCHING BODYBUILDING CONTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) ROOF TILE FACTORY OWNER, ANTO SAYING: "I think it's a good thing to build our bodies to be more healthy and tough. Moreover my workers are participating as well and this is their second time joining this bodybuilding contest." VARIOUS OF BODYBUILDING CONTEST WINNER, OMAN, SHOWING HIS MUSCLES OMAN LIFTING ROOF TILES BODYBUILDING CONTEST WINNERS HOLDING THEIR REWARDS AUDIENCE CHEERING AND CLAPPING OMAN LIFTING THE TROPHY (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) BODYBUILDING CONTEST WINNER, OMAN SAYING: "I hope the next generation will maintain their bodies so that they can get a healthy life also maintain the quality of their bodies and I hope that they won't fall into the trap of bad things such as narcotics or alcohol because our body is a gift from God." ROOF TILE FACTORY VARIOUS OF WORKER RINSING ROOF TILES VARIOUS OF WORKER LIFTING ROOF TILES
- Embargoed: 26th August 2017 07:19
- Keywords: Workers bodybuilding contest indonesia independence day
- Location: JATIWANGI, WEST JAVA PROVINCE, INDONESIA
- City: JATIWANGI, WEST JAVA PROVINCE, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0036TUP1ZT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Glistening muscular men and screaming women cheering for them is an uncommon sight in a small Indonesian village known for its roof-tiles factories.
But for the last two years, roof-tiles workers have beefed up their bodies to take part in this annual event, which is part of the celebration of Indonesia's Independence Day on August 17.
More than 70 workers representing over 30 factories stripped down to their shorts and lather up the oil on Friday (August 11) before parading and flexing their muscles to the crowd of screaming fans.
Competing for the second time, Yana Kusyana is excited and happy that his new-found body is loved by girls.
Lifting over hundreds of kilograms of roof-tiles every day, the workers naturally trained their bodies and muscles without the need to step into a gym.
During the contest, the men had to lift tiles as an assessment to their strength.
This year's winner, Oman, who like many Indonesians only has one name, walked away with 2,500,000 rupiah (about $187 USD) prize money.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None