- Title: Indonesian roof tile labourers transform into bodybuilders for annual competition
- Date: 12th August 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF CONTESTANTS STANDING AS THEY WAIT TO BE CALLED CONTESTANT WALKING TO GREET JUDGES VARIOUS OF CONTESTANT SHOWING HIS MUSCLES
- Embargoed: 26th August 2017 07:19
- Keywords: Workers bodybuilding contest indonesia independence day
- Location: JATIWANGI, WEST JAVA PROVINCE, INDONESIA
- City: JATIWANGI, WEST JAVA PROVINCE, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0026TUP1ZT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Glistening muscular men and screaming women cheering for them is an uncommon sight in a small Indonesian village known for its roof-tiles factories.
But for the last two years, roof-tiles workers have beefed up their bodies to take part in this annual event, which is part of the celebration of Indonesia's Independence Day on August 17.
More than 70 workers representing over 30 factories stripped down to their shorts and lather up the oil on Friday (August 11) before parading and flexing their muscles to the crowd of screaming fans.
Competing for the second time, Yana Kusyana is excited and happy that his new-found body is loved by girls.
Lifting over hundreds of kilograms of roof-tiles every day, the workers naturally trained their bodies and muscles without the need to step into a gym.
During the contest, the men had to lift tiles as an assessment to their strength.
This year's winner, Oman, who like many Indonesians only has one name, walked away with 2,500,000 rupiah (about $187 USD) prize money.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.