- Title: Flower-power: Brussels' Grand-Place adorned with flower carpets and exhibtions
- Date: 11th August 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (AUGUST 11, 2017) (REUTERS) BRUSSELS TOWN HALL TOWER / GRAND-PLACE SQUARE WITH 'FLOWERTIME' EXHIBITION TAKING PLACE VARIOUS OF FLOWER CARPET ON SQUARE EXHIBITION TAKING PLACE VARIOUS OF DESIGNS ON FLOWER AND VEGETABLES CARPET VISITORS LOOKING AT EXHIBITION DESIGNS VARIOUS OF DESIGNS ON FLOWER AND VEGETABLES CARPET (SOUNDBITE) (English) 20-YEAR-OLD LANGUAGES STUDENT FROM PARIS, CELINE HAYA, SAYING: "So I think that to associate the flowers in a city, it's always a good idea to have a connection with the flowers and it's also good for people just to see this, with the fruit, the colours, they're beautiful." VARIOUS OF FLORIST MAKING ADJUSTMENTS TO FLOWER CARPET (SOUNDBITE) (French) 70-YEAR-OLD FLOWER ENTHUSIAST FROM BELGIUM, MARIE-PAULE HANNOSSET, SAYING: "(We came) Because we really like flowers, we enjoy working with flowers, we're a group of friends, and so it was to get ideas from big designers and this was the opportunity." VARIOUS OF VISITORS LOOKING AT EXHIBITION DESIGNS (SOUNDBITE) (German) 54-YEAR-OLD AUSTRIAN TOURIST FROM VIENNA VISITING BRUSSELS WITH HIS FAMILY, EDWARD MUELLER, SAYING: "Really beautiful, the Grand-Place, that is, and with the flowers even nicer, especially having come over from Vienna. But Belgium, like Holland, is well known for its flowers." TOURISTS WALKING ON SQUARE FLORIST SPRAYING LIQUID ON FLOWER CARPET TREE AT EXHIBITION VARIOUS OF THE MANNEKEN PIS WITH A FLORAL CROWN
- Embargoed: 25th August 2017 15:40
- Keywords: Brussels' Grand Place flowers exhibition Grand Place Manneken Pis
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TPR23D
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Brussels' Grand-Place and Town Hall took on a floral theme on Friday (August 11), as a flower and vegetable exhibition brought colour to the city centre.
Adorning the city's World Heritage historic main square, three vegetable and fruit carpets were installed with the help of 60 children, drawing praise from tourists and local visitors.
With the theme of 'Flowers and Fruit', the three pieces and various flower sale stalls in the square itself serve as a showcase of the 19 ticketed exhibitions which fill the rooms of the city's Gothic Town Hall, whose tower dominates the central Brussels skyline.
Seeking to inspire gardening creativity amongst its visitors, this year's 'Flowertime', the third biennial edition, offers a nod to urban gardening which has been a growing trend in cities, the director of the non-profit organisation at the origin of the exhibition, Annette Katz said in a statement.
The event is held every other year, with the internationally-renowned Flower Carpet on the Grand Place being 'rolled out' in the alternate years.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None