- Title: A look back at Elvis Presley ahead of 40th anniversary of his death
- Date: 11th August 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF FLOWERS AND PICTURES ADORNING GRAVE OF ELVIS PRESLEY AT GRACELAND
- Embargoed: 25th August 2017 11:59
- Keywords: rock and roll Graceland music The King Elvis Presley anniversary Tennessee Lisa Marie Presley Memphis Priscilla Presley
- Location: FRIEDBERG ARMY CAMP, GERMANY / HAWAII, USA / NEW YORK, NEW YORK, USA / FORTE CHAFFEE ARKANSAS, USA, MILITARY CAMP / HAWAII / MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE, UNITED STATES / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: FRIEDBERG ARMY CAMP, GERMANY / HAWAII, USA / NEW YORK, NEW YORK, USA / FORTE CHAFFEE ARKANSAS, USA, MILITARY CAMP / HAWAII / MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE, UNITED STATES / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA0096TPQ0XZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Wednesday (August 16) marks 40 years since the death of the King of rock and roll, Elvis Presley, at his home, Graceland, Memphis, in the United States.
Born in 1935, he began his career as a musician aged 19, merging rhythm and blues with country, and popularising the rockabilly sound.
It wasn't until 1956 that Presley had his first breakthrough hit, "Heartbreak Hotel." The song instantly skyrocketed to No. 1 on the American charts, and was a hit around the world.
Other classics like "Hound Dog" and "Don't be Cruel" hit soon after, and his popularity soared
Presley was then signed to star in "Love me Tender," the first of many movies he would make.
Juggling the roles of actor and singer, in 1957, he rose to the top of the charts again with the hit singles "Love Me Tender" and "Jailhouse Rock."
At the age of 22, Presley bought Graceland, a white 23 bedroom mansion situated on 14 acres of land in Memphis, Tennessee.
Presley was began two years of military service in 1958, and was stationed at Friedberg Army Camp near Frankfurt in Germany.
Despite efforts made by the Pentagon to get Presley into a special unit where he'd serve as an entertainer for the US military, the superstar insisted he be treated like any other soldier. He went from making millions each year, to earning $78 (USD) per month as GI Presley.
Like other American recruits he underwent physicals and basic training.
Before he departed for his tour of duty overseas, he made a quick stop in New York to say good-bye to thousands of fans waiting to see him off. When he arrived at the Brooklyn pier, he was flooded by fans eager to get a glimpse of their idol.
Presley was received with open arms in Friedberg, Germany, greeted by fans and flashbulbs.
While in the army, Presley's desire to make more films and prove himself as a great talent never waned and said he didn't want to be typecast as just a handsome musician.
Presley met his bride to be, 14-year-old Priscilla Beaulieu while based in Germany. Their courtship lasted eight years, even after he completed his tour of duty and returned to the US in 1960.
They married on May 1, 1967 in Las Vegas and shortly after held a private reception in Graceland. Nine months later to the day, on February 1, 1968, Priscilla gave birth to a daughter, Lisa Marie.
The same year, Presley's manager Col. Tom Parker masterminded a comeback. Kicking off a string of public appearances was a TV special featuring the King clad in a black leather jumpsuit.
In 1972 the Presley would separate from his wife, and later divorce.
Following problems with prescription drug use, and other health problems, Presley died at Graceland in 1977 at age 42 of heart disease and prescription drug abuse.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None