- Title: Azarenka could miss U.S. Open due to custody battle
- Date: 17th August 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (JULY 1, 2017) (REUTERS) VICTORIA AZARENKA TRAINING LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 21, 2014) (REUTERS) VICTORIA AZARENKA TRAINING HUA HIN, THAILAND (DECEMBER 28, 2013) (REUTERS) AZARENKA DANCING DURING EXHIBITION MATCH AGAINST SERENA WILLIAMS MATCH POINT, AZARENKA WINS, PLAYERS WALKING TO NET PLAYERS SHAKE HANDS NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 20, 2013) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF AZARENKA COACHING TENNIS CLINIC AZARENKA ON COURT
- Embargoed: 31st August 2017 16:27
- Keywords: Tennis Victoria Azarenka U.S. Open tennis tournament custody battle comeback
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Sport,Tennis
- Reuters ID: LVA0016UJQ6V3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Two-time grand slam winner Victoria Azarenka said on Thursday (August 17) she may withdraw from the U.S. Open as she is unwilling to part with her son during legal proceedings to separate from her former partner.
Azarenka returned to action in June, after the birth of her son Leo last December, and reached the last 16 at the Mallorca Open in June and Wimbledon in July during her comeback.
The 28-year-old, who reached the finals at the U.S. Open in 2012 and 2013, remains optimistic that legal arrangements can be worked out to allow her to compete shortly.
"The way things stand now is that the only way I can play in the US Open this year is if I leave Leo behind in California, which I'm not willing to do," the Belarusian said in a statement.
The U.S. Open, which is the fourth and final grand slam of the year, will be held from Aug. 28-Sept. 10 in New York City.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None