- Title: Far-right protesters and anti-fascists clash in Barcelona
- Date: 18th August 2017
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (AUGUST 18, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS PROFANITY*** VARIOUS OF ANTI-FASCIST GATHERED AT LAS RAMBLAS CLOSE TO VAN ATTACK VICTIMS MEMORIAL VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER READING (Catalan): "ANTI-FASCIST OLD TOWN" (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ANTI-FASCIST PROTESTER, ANGEL, SAYING: "We have to get the Ramblas back to go back to normality and transmit a message that the goal of their attack, aimed at causing fear, is not going to succeed. We can't admit the provocations of those who, using this attack, put out all their hatred, racism, xenofobia and a fascism that is relatively similar to the one we experienced here yesterday. So we have to fight against every fascist aggression and every attempt to stop us from going back to normal." BANNER READING (Spanish): "PEACE AND FREEDOM" FAR RIGHT PROTESTERS GIVING THE FINGER FAR RIGHT PROTESTER YELLING AT ANTI-FASCIST PROTESTERS CLOSE UP OF FAR RIGHT PROTESTER / PROTESTER GIVING THE FINGER VARIOUS OF ANTI-FASCIST PROTESTERS YELLING AT FAR RIGHT PROTESTERS VAROUS OF FAR RIGHT PROTESTER TAKING PICTURES OF ANTI-FASCIST GROUPS TWO PROTESTERS FROM DIFFERENT SIDES YELLING AT EACH OTHER ANTI-FASCISTS CHANTING (Spanish): "FASCISTS OUT" BANNER READING (Catalan): "ANTI-FASCIST OLD TOWN" ANTI-FASCISTS CHANTING FAR RIGHT PROTESTER AND RADICAL LEFT PROTESTER CLASHING RIOT POLICE ARRIVING
- Embargoed: 1st September 2017 19:34
- Keywords: Barcelona terrorist attack van protests scuffles far-right demonstration
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016UOR7T3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS VIDEO CONTAINS PROFANITIES
Far-right protesters and anti-fascist groups clashed on Friday (August 18) at Las Ramblas Boulevard in central Barcelona a day after van a van plowed into crowds killing 14 people and leaving dozens injured.
It was the latest of a string of attacks across Europe in the past 13 months in which militants have used vehicles as weapons - a crude but deadly tactic that is near-impossible to prevent and has now killed nearly 130 people in France, Germany, Britain, Sweden and Spain.
As far-right protesters gathered at the famous boulevard for a march in which slogans against migrants and Muslims were seen, hundreds of anti-fascists gathered a few hundred metres away.
There was physical confrontation between some protesters on both sides.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None