- Title: Ex-Pemex CEO denies funneling Odebrecht bribes to Pena Nieto campaign
- Date: 18th August 2017
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (AUGUST 17, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** FORMER HEAD OF PEMEX, EMILIO LOZOYA, ACCOMPANIED BY HIS ATTORNEY ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE LOZOYA BEING PHOTOGRAPHED CAMERAMAN WORKING LOZOYA READING STATEMENT LOZOYA AND ATTORNEY SITTING AT CONFERENCE TABLE WITH JOURNALISTS IN FOREGROUND AND SIDE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) EMILIO LOZOYA, FORMER HEAD OF PEMEX, SAYING: "There is not a thread of proof or evidence that I received money from them or anyone. I want to be very clear about that. There is absolutely no proof or evidence that supports the statements that try to tie me to this situation." JOURNALIST (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) EMILIO LOZOYA, FORMER HEAD OF PEMEX, SAYING: "The only person I know, and there's evidence of this, is Luis Alberto de Meneses Weyll and I met him, along with many other business people, through my work before I was director of Pemex. However, I don't know the other two, nor have I had any contact with them." NEWS CONFERENCE UNDERWAY (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) EMILIO LOZOYA, FORMER HEAD OF PEMEX, SAYING: "I am completely willing to collaborate to clear up these false accusations. At a time when the truth is under attack in many parts of the world, only actions can be believed and the actions in this case are that I never behaved in any way outside the regulations, the law and moral rules." LOZOYA AND ATTORNEYS GETTING UP AT END OF NEWS CONFERENCE LOZOYA AND ATTORNEYS POSTING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
- Embargoed: 1st September 2017 13:29
- Keywords: Pemex head Emilio Lozoya bribes Pena Nieto campaign Odebrecht
- Location: MEXICO CITY AND TULA, HIDALGO, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY AND TULA, HIDALGO, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0016UOPSG3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Emilio Lozoya, the former head of Mexican oil firm Pemex, on Thursday (August 17) denied he was involved in shifting cash to President Enrique Pena Nieto's campaign, saying bank accounts where millions of dollars were allegedly deposited were not his.
At a news conference after appearing at the attorney general's office in Mexico City, Pena Nieto ally Lozoya rejected claims published by Brazil's O Globo newspaper that he had taken $10 million in bribes in 2012 from a former executive at Odebrecht SA, Latin America's biggest construction firm, in return for a refinery contract. Citing bank documents, a separate report by civil society group Mexicans Against Corruption said payments had been made when Lozoya was a senior official in the campaign that clinched the presidency for Pena Nieto 2012.
Lozoya, who had already taken denied reports on Twitter, rejected accusations that any of the money he is alleged to have received ended up in the campaign's coffers, and denied holding the bank accounts where the bribes were supposedly paid. He told reporters he only knew one of the three Odebrecht executives - Luis Alberto de Meneses Weyll - who have allegedly testified against him.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None