- Title: France in shock after Barcelona attack, 26 of country's citizens injured
- Date: 18th August 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (AUGUST 17, 2017) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) FRENCH FOREIGN MINISTRY, EIFFEL TOWER IN BACKGROUND SIGN FOR FRENCH FOREIGN MINISTRY SIGN READING (French): "CENTRE FOR CRISIS AND SUPPORT" PEOPLE WORKING INSIDE FRENCH CENTRE FOR CRISIS AND SUPPORT VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WORKING ON COMPUTERS WITH HEADSETS ON TEXT ON MAN'S JACKET READING (French): "FIRST-AID TEAM, RED CROSS" MAN USING COMPUTER MOUSE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WORKING AT CRISIS CENTRE (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH FOREIGN AND EUROPEAN AFFAIRS MINISTRY, DEPUTY SPOKESPERSON, ALEXANDRE GIORGINI, SAYING: "As soon as we heard about the attack, we put in place double measures. First of all, we contacted through all means the French people we have details for, who have signed up to what we call 'Ariane', a measure allowing French people who travel to sign up to get security measures. We contacted them to give them information and to ask them to let their loved ones know that they are okay." PEOPLE WORKING AT CRISIS CENTRE (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH FOREIGN AND EUROPEAN AFFAIRS MINISTRY, DEPUTY SPOKESPERSON, ALEXANDRE GIORGINI, SAYING: "The crisis centre will without a doubt be reinforced in the coming hours. Its work involves receiving calls from loved ones who are worried or who have information about someone in their family who is in Spain, who is in Barcelona. They collect information so they can take stock of the situation for French people where there are uncertainties or questions. They'll be working through the night." PEOPLE WORKING AT CRISIS CENTRE WOMAN WEARING SHIRT WITH TEXT READING (French): "CRISIS CENTRE, FRENCH FOREIGN MINISTRY" PARIS, FRANCE (AUGUST 18, 2017) (REUTERS) TRAFFIC IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (French) 45-YEAR-OLD SPANIARD WHO HAS LIVED IN PARIS FOR 18 YEARS AND WHO WORKS IN INSURANCE, MARIA SANZ, SAYING: "Every Spanish person has walked at least once along Las Ramblas in Barcelona, so when I saw the promenadeâ€¦. It moved me so much thatâ€¦ It's very sad. Even if we are used to it, we cannot wreck children's lives like that, they're the future, we have to think about something positive." PEOPLE WALKING IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (French) 18-YEAR-OLD PARISIAN STUDENT, JOURDAIN BELA, SAYING: "It's very serious, Barcelona is a beautiful city and it doesn't deserve that. It's starting to affect everyone, and it's starting toâ€¦ It's very serious. It's a worldwide conflict now. It's no longer just city by city." PEOPLE WALKING IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (French) 40-YEAR-OLD LAWYER WHO LIVES IN PARIS, DENITZA IVANOVA, SAYING: "It's scary, we are all terrorised by isolated acts, which are terrorist acts. But indeed, it brings to mind the Paris attacks, and each time you get the feeling there is someone trying to remind us about what happened in Paris, which was terrible." PEOPLE WALKING IN STREET FRONT PAGE OF FRENCH NEWSPAPERS "LIBERATION", "LE FIGARO" AND "LE PARISIEN", ALL WITH HEADLINES ON BARCELONA ATTACK
- Embargoed: 1st September 2017 08:56
- Keywords: French citizens injured French Foreign Ministry crisis centre Paris Parisians reactions Barcelona attack Las Ramblas
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0016UOOO5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: France was in shock on Friday (August 18) following an attack in Barcelona, in which 13 people were killed after a suspected Islamist militant drove a van into crowds on the city's famous walkway of Las Ramblas.
The French Foreign and European Affairs Ministry said 26 of the country's citizens were injured in Thursday's (August 17) attack, with at least 11 of them in serious condition.
At the ministry's crisis centre, staff worked throughout the night and took more than 3,200 calls from citizens over the incident.
The attacks struck a painful cord with Parisians, who remembered recent violence in their own country, including when an Islamist militant drove a heavy truck into crowds in Nice, killing 86, as well as the deadly November 13 attacks.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None