- Title: Spanish embassy in Athens holds minute of silence, tourists react to attack
- Date: 18th August 2017
- Summary: ATHENS, GREECE (AUGUST 18, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF SPANISH EMBASSY/ PEOPLE WALKING ON PEDESTRIAN ROAD OUTSIDE/ SPANISH AND EU FLAGS AT HALF-MAST VARIOUS OF SPANISH AND EU FLAGS AT HALF-MAST EMBASSY STAFF EXITING BUILDING SIGN ON BUILDING READING: (Spanish) "SPANISH EMBASSY" VARIOUS OF EMBASSY STAFF OBSERVING MINUTE'S SILENCE FOR VICTIMS OF BARCELONA ATTACKS SPAIN'S ACTING AMBASSADOR TO GREECE, JAVIER TRIANA (RIGHT), OBSERVING MINUTE'S SILENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTING AMBASSADOR TO GREECE, JAVIER TRIANA, SAYING: "We are all united in this moment of pain and grief in Spain, we are all united. And we are also united in our resolve to fight for and to preserve our freedoms, our values and our way of life. Terrorists will be overcome in the end, that is for sure." GREEK POLICE ON MOTORBIKES DRIVING BY PEOPLE WALKING ON PEDESTRIAN ROAD VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURIST FROM BELGIUM, MICHEL, SAYING: "No, I'm not afraid, but I take into account the situation, I keep looking at everything... I look around me, if there is something I don't understand or something like that, but I am not afraid because if not, I stay at home." (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURIST FROM FRANCE, VINCENT, SAYING: "I think we should not be scared, it can happen everywhere... where you go, I mean, something can happen. We should just keep the same and going all around the world and enjoy everywhere, it is the point." (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURIST FROM ROMANIA, MARINELLA RUSU, SAYING: "I was in Barcelona in April and I visited, I liked it very much and I will go again whatever, because I love this city, I consider it an art city, for me - I am an artist also, this is why I love Barcelona and I would go there any time, and I will go back to see it once again." TOURISTS TAKING PHOTOGRAPHS TOURISTS WALKING ON STREET VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING PAST SPANISH EMBASSY
- Embargoed: 1st September 2017 13:49
- Keywords: Barcelona attack Spanish embassy in Greece minute of silence tourist reactions Spanish acting ambassador
- Location: ATHENS, GREECE
- City: ATHENS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016UOPQVB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spanish flags flew at half-mast outside Spain's embassy in Athens on Friday (August 18) as its staff held a minute's silence following the attack in Barcelona where an Islamist militant drove a van into a tourist hotspot, killing 13 and wounding scores.
Tourists from across Europe said that Thursday's (August 17) attack would not stop them from continuing to travel, with one woman saying saying that she loved Barcelona and would definitely go again.
Islamic State said the perpetrators of the attack along Las Ramblas, had been responding to its call for action, rampaging along Barcelona's most famous avenue, which was thronged with holiday-makers enjoying an afternoon stroll at the peak of the tourist season.
A sweeping anti-terrorism operation was launched after the attack with police shooting dead five would-be attackers in Cambrils, a town south of Barcelona.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None