- Title: Spain's King Felipe leads minute silence for victims of Barcelona attack
- Date: 18th August 2017
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (AUGUST 18, 2017) (REUTERS) PEOPLE HOLDING UP SIGNS IN CROWD
- Embargoed: 1st September 2017 11:33
- Keywords: Rajoy people pay tribute attack Spain Barcelona tribute mourners Las Ramblas King Felipe Barcelona attack
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0026UOMREV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spain's King Felipe led a minute silence ceremony on Friday (August 18), one day after a suspected Islamist militant drove a van into crowds in Barcelona, killing 13 people and wounding scores.
The King joined Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and other government officials in Barcelona's Plaza de Catalunya for the ceremony to remember the victims.
At the end of the minute silence, the crowd applauded and chanted in Catalan "no tince por", which means "I am not afraid".
Mourners gathered at a makeshift memorial in nearby Las Ramblas, site of Thursday's (August 17) attack, held a minute silence and chanted the same defiant message.
A sweeping anti-terrorism operation was launched after Thursday's attack with police shooting dead five would-be attackers in Cambrils, a town south of Barcelona.
One civilian - a Spanish woman - was killed in the Cambrils incident while several other civilians and a police officer were injured. Police destroyed explosive belts the men had been wearing, though they turned out to be fake.
Islamic State said the perpetrators of Thursday's attack had been responding to its call for action, rampaging along Barcelona's most famous avenue, which was thronged with holiday-makers enjoying an afternoon stroll at the peak of the tourist season.
Bodies, many motionless, were left strewn across the avenue and authorities said the toll of dead, which included several children, could rise, with more than 100 wounded.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None