- Title: China condemns Barcelona attack, offers condolences to victims
- Date: 18th August 2017
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (AUGUST 18, 2017) (REUTERS) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN HUA CHUNYING WALKING IN FOR REGULAR BRIEFING MEDIA SEATED (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN HUA CHUNYING SAYING: "China strongly condemns the terror attack in Barcelona, and offers condolences to victims, relatives of victims and those injured." MEDIA SEATED (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN HUA CHUNYING SAYING: "There is another Hong Kong citizen lightly injured who now has left the hospital. There is no casualty report about any other Chinese citizen in this incident." BRIEFING IN PROGRESS EXTERIOR OF CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG FLYING
- Embargoed: 1st September 2017 10:24
- Keywords: Spain attack Barcelona victims tourists
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016UOO7K7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: China's Foreign Ministry on Friday (August 18) condemned the previous day's attack in Barcelona and offered condolences to the victims.
The Barcelona attack on Thursday (August 17) left 13 dead and more than a hundred injured after the suspect drove a van into crowds along a busy tourist street. Police said they had also killed five attackers on Thursday night in Cambrils, a town south of Barcelona.
Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Hua Chunying said that one Hong Kong citizen was lightly injured in the incident.
Islamic State said the perpetrators had been responding to its call for action by carrying out Thursday's rampage along Barcelona's most famous avenue, which was thronged with holiday-makers enjoying an afternoon stroll at the peak of the tourist season.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None