- Title: Russians lay flowers at Spanish embassy for victims of Barcelona attack
- Date: 18th August 2017
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (AUGUST 18, 2017) (REUTERS) SPANISH EMBASSY WITH FLAGS OF SPAIN AND EUROPEAN UNION FLYING AT HALF-MAST FLOWERS WITH RIBBON READING (Russian) 'FROM THE MOSCOW GOVERNMENT' SPANISH FLAG AT HALF-MAST PEOPLE LAYING FLOWERS AT STEPS OF EMBASSY FLOWERS AND CANDLE PEOPLE LAYING FLOWERS FLOWERS AND CANDLE (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) REFUGEE FROM UKRAINE'S EAST, ALINA ALYOKHINA, SAYING: "We should be united in situations like this one and not make any difference between our people and their people, no matter where these people live or were born." PEOPLE WITH FLOWERS WALKING TOWARDS EMBASSY FLOWERS ON STEPS PEOPLE LAYING FLOWERS SIGN READING (Spanish) 'EMBASSY OF SPAIN' (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) MOSCOW RESIDENT, ANDREI, SAYING: "In relation to the recent terror attack in Spain I feel very sorry for the people (who were killed and injured). And I decided to lay flowers. This is a tragedy that this is happening in Europe in general and in Spain in particular." (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) MOSCOW RESIDENT, MARIA, SAYING: "I think that all the hard feelings should be forgotten and all the countries should unite, because terrorism is such a global issue which cannot be forgiven. We should fight terrorism so that such things never happen." FLOWERS SPANISH EMBASSY STAFF HOLDING MOMENT OF SILENCE VARIOUS OF EMBASSY STAFF (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SPANISH AMBASSADOR TO RUSSIA, IGNACIO YBANEZ, SAYING: "I want to especially give thanks for the condolences which were paid to us by the Russian authorities and many Russian citizens. (PAUSING FOR TRANSLATION). President (Vladimir) Putin has sent a letter of condolences to His Majesty the King. (PAUSING FOR TRANSLATION) And we also received a number of messages with condolences from the ministry of foreign affairs." SPANISH FLAG FLYING AT HALF-MAST FLOWERS
- Embargoed: 1st September 2017 11:29
- Keywords: Terror attack in Barcelona Moscow embassy flowers Russian reax Spanish ambassador to Russia
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0016UOP747
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of Moscow residents on Friday (August 18) brought flowers to the Spanish embassy in the Russian capital to pay tribute to victims of the Barcelona terror attack a day earlier.
A suspected Islamist militant drove a van into crowds on Barcelona's most famous avenue Las Ramblas, killing 13 people and wounding scores on Thursday (August 17).
A moment of silence was held in Spanish embassies across the world including in Moscow on Friday.
Spain's ambassador to Moscow Ignacio Ybanes thanked Russian citizens and authorities for their support and condolences.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None