- Title: Mourners pay tribute to victims of Barcelona attack
- Date: 18th August 2017
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (AUGUST 18, 2017) (REUTERS) PEOPLE STANDING AROUND FLORAL TRIBUTE ON LAS RAMBLAS WOMAN CRYING WOMAN LOOKING AT TRIBUTE CANDLES AND FLOWERS SIGN ON GROUND READING (Spanish and English): "YOU WON'T HAVE MY HATE #BARCELONA" VARIOUS OF VISIBLY UPSET WOMAN LOOKING AT TRIBUTE CROWD STANDING AROUND TRIBUTE MAN LAYING CANDLE DOWN AT TRIBUTE, TAKING HAT OFF, STANDING UP AND WALKING BACK INTO CROWD CANDLES FLICKERING VARIOUS OF MAN PLACING CANDLE AT TRIBUTE WOMAN WIPING HER EYES / ANOTHER WOMAN PUSHING THOUGH CROWD, LAYING A TEDDY BEAR AT TRIBUTE, WALKING BACK INTO CROWD VARIOUS OF MAN LIGHTING CANDLE WOMAN CRYING, GETTING UP AND WIPING OFF TEARS MAN LOOKING AT TRIBUTE / SIGN ON HIS SHIRT READING (English) "WASHINGTON DC"
- Embargoed: 1st September 2017 10:34
- Keywords: Barcelona attack Barcelona Spain tribute people pay tribute mourners Las Ramblas attack
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0016UOMQMF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spain launched a sweeping anti-terrorism operation on Friday (August 18), after a suspected Islamist militant drove a van into crowds in Barcelona, killing 13 people and wounding scores.
Islamic State said the perpetrators had been responding to its call for action by carrying out Thursday's (August 17) rampage along Barcelona's most famous avenue, which was thronged with holiday-makers enjoying an afternoon stroll at the peak of the tourist season.
On Las Ramblas, residents and tourists trickled back to the famous promenade, many stopping to pay their respects at a tribute for the victims.
Police said they had arrested a Moroccan and a man from Spain's North African enclave of Melilla, though neither of them was the van driver. He was seen escaping on foot and was still at large. A third man was arrested in the town of Ripoll on Friday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None