- Title: Chile grants asylum to Venezuelan judges holed up at embassy
- Date: 22nd August 2017
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (RECENT) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF THE SWEARING IN CEREMONY OF THE JUDGES BEING SWORN IN JUDGE HOLDING COPY OF THE VENEZUELAN CONSTITUTION IN HIS HAND DURING SWEARING IN JUDGES AT SWEARING IN
- Embargoed: 5th September 2017 20:17
- Keywords: Chile Venezuela Caracas Chilean Embassy political asylum magistrates
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA AND SANTIAGO, CHILE
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA AND SANTIAGO, CHILE
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0056V8PJRB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Chile on Tuesday (August 22) granted diplomatic asylum to four judges and a political opposition figure that have been residing in the Chilean embassy in Caracas for the past several weeks.
The four judges were appointed to the Venezuelan Supreme Court by the opposition-controlled national assembly. The judges entered Chile's embassy after President Nicolas Maduro made public threats to imprison the judges.
Chile's Foreign Minister, Heraldo Munoz, stated, "the government of Chile has decided to grant these five Venezuelan citizens diplomatic asylum," and the Chilean government has requested safe travel from the Venezuela so the judges can leave the country.
The fifth individual granted asylum is opposition leader, Roberto Enriquez, who has been inside Chile's embassy since April after being accused of being involved in a coup plot against the government.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None