- Title: South Korea trade minister says no agreement at talks with U.S. on FTA
- Date: 22nd August 2017
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (AUGUST 22, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** SOUTH KOREAN TRADE MINISTER, KIM HYUN-CHONG, WALKING TO PODIUM FOR NEWS BRIEFING ON RESULT OF SPECIAL SESSION MEETING BETWEEN SOUTH KOREA'S TRADE MINISTRY AND OFFICE OF UNITED STATES TRADE REPRESENTATIVE NEWS BRIEFING IN PROGRESS JOURNALISTS SEATED AND MEDIA FILMING KIM SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) SOUTH KOREAN TRADE MINISTER, KIM HYUN-CHONG, SAYING: "We have found the two sides have different views on the effects of the U.S. and South Korea's Free Trade Agreement (FTA), reason of trade deficit, and necessity of amendment of U.S. and South Korea FTA." JOURNALISTS TYPING ON LAPTOPS (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) SOUTH KOREAN TRADE MINISTER, KIM HYUN-CHONG, SAYING: "Based on objective statistics results, we logically explained that the U.S. goods and services trade deficit was the consequence of complex micro and macro elements and could not possibly have been the result of free trade with South Korea." NEWS BRIEFING IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) SOUTH KOREAN TRADE MINISTER, KIM HYUN-CHONG, SAYING: "Hence, we have not reached any agreement through this special session." JOURNALISTS TYPING ON LAPTOPS KIM BOWING AND WALKING AWAY FROM PODIUM EXTERIOR OF GOVERNMENT COMPLEX FLAGS OF SOUTH KOREA (LEFT) AND SOUTH KOREA'S GOVERNMENT (RIGHT) FLYING
- Embargoed: 5th September 2017 10:46
- Keywords: South Korea U.S. Free Trade Agreement FTA news conference Donald Trump
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Government/Politics,International Trade
- Reuters ID: LVA0016V8N2H3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Korea's Trade Minister Kim Hyun-chong said on Tuesday (August 22) at the conclusion of trade talks with the United States that the two sides failed to reach any agreement on how to move forward on discussions over the possibility of amending a five-year-old free trade deal.
Kim told a news conference after the meeting and said both sides have different views on the free trade agreement and had not reached any agreement.
Kim also said South Korea presented the argument that the U.S. trade deficit with South Korea was not the result of the bilateral trade deal and proposed a joint study on the effects of the bilateral agreement.
Last month, Washington issued a request to convene a special session of the Joint Committee under the Korea-U.S. (KORUS) Free Trade Agreement to negotiate amendments to the trade pact.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None