- Title: Prominent Russian theatre director detained in embezzlement case
- Date: 22nd August 2017
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (FILE - JULY 23, 2015) (REUTERS) SEREBRENNIKOV SPEAKING AHEAD OF BALLET "A HERO OF OUR TIME" PREMIERE IN BOLSHOI THEATRE
- Embargoed: 5th September 2017 18:47
- Keywords: Russia theatre arrest of theatre director Kirill Serebrennikov Gogol Centre
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA0046V8NCQV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A prominent Russian theatre director who has lamented what he says is the lack of freedom and growing social conservatism in his country was detained on Tuesday (August 22) and accused of embezzling state funds.
Russia's Investigative Committee said it suspected Kirill Serebrennikov of embezzling at least 68 million roubles ($1.15 million) in state funds earmarked for an art project, it said in a statement.
Serebrennikov, art director at Moscow's avant-garde Gogol Centre theatre, denies wrongdoing. He faces up to 10 years in jail if found guilty.
Dmitry Kharitonov, a lawyer for Serebrennikov, said his client was detained in St. Petersburg where he was working on a film about a Soviet rock star.
Serebrennikov, an award-winning director, has used his work to criticize the authorities in the past, lashing out at what he sees as the pernicious growing role of the state and church in Russian society.
His detention shocked his supporters and the arts world.
In May, investigators searched Serebrennikov's home and office and questioned him as a witness in an embezzlement case.
The accountant and general director of Serebrennikov's theatre have already been accused of stealing state funds.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None