- Title: Croatian beach bar for dogs hosts owners and dogs race
- Date: 22nd August 2017
- Summary: CRIKVENICA, CROATIA (AUGUST 20, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** DOGS AND OWNERS POISED AT THE START LINE AND THEN RUNNING AS THE RACE BEGINS DOGS AND OWNERS RUNNING ALONG PIER DOGS AND THEIR OWNERS JUMPING INTO SEA, AS SEEN FROM WATER LINE RETRIEVER SWIMMING IN SEA, AS SEEN FROM UNDER WATER PEOPLE AND DOGS SWIMMING UNDERWATER SHOT OF OWNER SWIMMING ALONG WITH DOG VARIOUS OF DOGS AND PEOPLE SWIMMING WINNING DOG AND OWNER REACHING BEACH (SOUNDBITE) (English) DOG OWNER AND RACE WINNER MARIN FROM CROATIAN TOWN OF KOSTRENA, SAYING: "We did not prepare, we swim in the summer a little bit. But this (his dog) is a natural swimmer. When I jump in the water he comes with me and follows me, and this is why we won / because he followed me. This is crazy for me, if I run, he runs after me, if I swim he swims, he's a very good swimmer." (SOUNDBITE) (English) BEACH BAR OWNER, RUBY MONTANARI-KNEZ, SAYING: "Well I actually got the idea from one of our guests at the dog beach and since we love doing anything in relation to dogs, the idea was to have a race around the beach, and I thought the idea was perfect." RACE WINNER WITH HIS DOG ACCEPTING TROPHY AND HIS DOG GETTING A MEDAL
- Embargoed: 5th September 2017 17:30
- Keywords: Dogs Dog beach bar swimming race
- Location: CRIKVENICA, CROATIA
- City: CRIKVENICA, CROATIA
- Country: Croatia
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016V8PEF5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Croatia's only beach bar catering for dogs staged a race in the Adriatic on Sunday (August 20) for owners and their four legged friends.
Happy canines and their proud humans can each get a sun bed, and take a dive in the blue sea at Monty's Dog Beach Bar.
Fifteen owners and their dogs took part in the competition, running down the pier and then jumping into the water and swimming about 100 metres to the shore.
The fastest four-legged athlete of the day was Nimbus, a four-year-old mixed breed samoyed, who finished the course along with his owner in a few minutes, winning a 7 kilogram bag of dog food and a weekend at a local hotel.
"We did not prepare. We swim a little bit in the summer. He's a natural swimmer, when I jump in the water he comes with me and follows me, and this why we won," his owner, Marin, said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None