- Title: Third brother pulled out from rubble alive and rushed to hospital
- Date: 22nd August 2017
- Summary: ISCHIA, ITALY (AUGUST 22, 2017) (REUTERS) EMERGENCY WORKERS AND MEDIA NEAR DAMAGED BUILDINGS DAMAGED BUILDING/EMERGENCY WORKERS IN STREET WITH MEDIA PILE OF FURNITURE IN STREET EMERGENCY WORKERS WITH SNIFFER DOGS WALKING IN STREET EMERGENCY WORKERS RUNNING ALONG STREET CARRYING CIRO, THE ELDEST OF THREE RESCUED BROTHERS, ON A STRETCHER AFTER HE HAS BEEN PULLED OUT OF THE RUBBLE AND PLACING HIM IN AN AMBULANCE AMBULANCE DRIVING AWAY WITH SIREN BLARING DAMAGED CHURCH WITH PILE OF RUBBLE AT DOOR DAMAGED BELL TOWER CAR ON ITS SIDE IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) CASAMICCIOLA HOMEOWNER GIOSUE DOTANI SAYING: "Well I found a disaster. I entered (the town) I rushed in because I thought maybe someone was stuck underneath and I could help them. But thank god, the only good thing about all this, I'm obviously sorry for the people who died it's a horrible thing for everyone, but for me personally apart from the houses that we can't enter, we are alive." (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) CASAMICCIOLA HOMEOWNER BARBARA SETTEMBRE SAYING: "My house is completely destroyed. Yesterday I came out, I had a house. Today I have no house. I have nothing." VARIOUS OF DAMAGED BUILDINGS VARIOUS OF DEBRIS IN STREETS CRACKS ON WALLS OF BUILDINGS BUILDINGS WITH MISSING MASONRY EMERGENCY WORKERS AND VEHICLES IN STREET CRACKS ON WALL OF BUILDING FALLEN DEBRIS ON ROAD NEXT TO BUILDING CRACKS ON WALL OF BUILDING VARIOUS OF DINING ROOM IN APARTMENT WITH MISSING WALLS BOATS IN SEA IN FRONT OF TOWN OF CASAMICCIOLA
- Embargoed: 5th September 2017 17:17
- Keywords: earthquake rescue child brother emergency services
- Location: ISCHIA, ITALY
- City: ISCHIA, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA0016V8OD3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Rescuers pulled a third brother from under the rubble of a collapsed building on Tuesday (August 22) on the Italian Island of Ischia. Ciro is the eldest of three brothers to be rescued after a quake caused at least six buildings to collapse in the town of Casamicciola late on Monday (August 21).
Earlier on Tuesday, emergency workers found a baby boy called Pasquale in the wreckage and pulled him out alive in his nappy seven hours after the shock. There was a hush followed by loud applause.
Fire crews found his brothers Mattia and Ciro, aged seven and 11, stuck under a bed nearby. They kept talking to them and fed water to them through a tube, then managed to pull Mattia free.
By noon (1000 GMT) on Tuesday, emergency crews said they had freed Ciro's legs and were working to release him. "I promised them that after this was all over we would all go get a pizza together," one emergency worker said on Italian television. The parents were safe because they were in another room.
Residents were thankful that they were alive even though some had lost everything.
About six buildings in the town of Casamicciola, including a church, collapsed in the quake, which hit at 8:57 p.m. (1857 GMT) on Monday. The walls of one were ripped open, exposing a kitchen with a table still set for dinner.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None